HI,

I have recently been learning about server 2003. I was hoping someone could diagnose what I have done wrong in setting up group objects and policies to install software on chosen users. I followed the tutorial on: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102

It seems pretty straight forward and easy to follow. But after I finished the tutorial I was unable to get the software installed on the client computers. Here's some details:

I chose the assign software method. I was able to successfully create a distribution point at \\Apache\Distribute\Auto I set permissions for full control on sharing and security for the test user.

I created a group policy object name auto distribution and went to properties and selected the test user to have full permissions.

I also installed the .msi file in the above location using the /a (administrative install). and assigned this package Computer Configuration, Software Settings, software installation, and typed the correct path (I did not browse to it).

I chose assign, the tutorial says that when the user logs in his client computer the software will be installed automatically, it did not in my case. I also tried to publish it and redeploy it many times but it wouldn't install using assign or could not be found in add programs in control panel with publish.

If I simply share the setup.exe file using a share folder path, the test user is able to download the setup and install the file (if he runs it as administrator of that local computer). If you see an error in what I have done I would greatly appreciate your help and response. Thank you.