new phenom pc problem
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new phenom pc problem

new phenom pc problem

my new build pc is giving me grief. not sure why. I have installed memory as shown below into the GIGABYTE board GA-MA770-DS3 with a phenom 9950 processor on board. It has 2 x 500gb SATA drives; IDE dvd-ram and cdrom drives; plus once i get a sata cable a sata-dvd RW. video is via Geforce 9500gt PCI-EXPRESS (sparkle).

the pc boots and starts to install win xp but upon the first reboot after copying files, the pc switches off. I thought it was a overheat problem but the bios reports a cpu temp of around 77-82 c and system temp of around 30 c. I have left the system on a for a while and the temps dont vary that much. it is also okay when formatting the hard drives.

i have also tried the memory with just one module (2gb) and it doesn't get much further than above.

what next?

Description
    The Dominator Series Twin2X4096-8500C5D is 4096MBytes of DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs built using Corsair’s high performance heat sink with Dual-path Heat Xchange (DHX) technology coupled with a Corsair Dominator Airflow Fan. This memory has been verified to operate at 1066MHz at latencies of 5-5-5-15 at 2.1VDIMM. The Twin2X4096-8500C5D comes with Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP), the open standard for performance module SPD’s jointly developed by Corsair and NVIDIA. EPP SPD’s on Corsair modules allow users to automatically configure EPP enabled motherboards with aggressive memory performance settings, for maximum memory and system performance.

Specifications of memory
    General Storage Capacity4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) Upgrade TypeGeneric Memory TypeDRAM TechnologyDDR2 SDRAM Form FactorDIMM 240-pin Memory Speed1066 MHz ( PC2-8500 ) Latency TimingsCL5 ( 5-5-5-15 ) RAM FeaturesEnhanced Performance Profiles (EPP), Dual-path Heat Xchange (DHX) Supply Voltage2.1 V Expansion / Connectivity Compatible Slots2 x memory - DIMM 240-pin Manufacturer Warranty Service & SupportLimited lifetime warranty
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

I would suggest your cpu heatsink isn't properly attached or thermal pasted or both.

Power supply maybe.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

That's possibly a little too much heat
    It would be much better down in the 60C range
    Considerign the temperatures your showing are not under load
    I agree with CCT
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink View Post
    phenom 9950 is not supported rev 1.0 MB, Rev 2.0 does with bios update!

Dominator is not on the QVL supported dimms

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...-ma770-ds3.pdf

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/T...048-6400C4.pdf

CCT's post the HSF is not properly seated can cause overheating, where are you checking CPU temp's bios / CPU-Z ???

the temps are shown in the bios, as that is the only thing i have access to, being unable to load an o/s. the cpu temp and fan speeds are in system health option.

there are 4 120cm and 1 8cm fans. it is a coolermaster case,

i used akasa cpu tape for the HSF.

sorry, but what did you mean by the 9950 is not supported .. by what? mobo or o/s?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Power supply maybe.

Its an 850w psu - Win Power PSU 850W 2xSATA cable dual 8cm fan silent20 +4 pin PCI-E connector

Definitely look at those CPU temps, if that's the temp in bios, not under load it's going to climb very fast when installing. Are you using the stock hsf? If so, why did you put more tape on?
    Last edited by NooNoo; January 2nd, 2009 at 05:26 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Definitely look at those CPU temps, if that's the temp in bios, not under load it's going to climb very fast when installing. Are you using the stock hsf? If so, why did you put more tape on?
    do you think the akasa tape is ok, or should i redo with thermal grease? should i have upgraded the cpu fan, i am using the one that came with the 9950..?

i had a slight mishap with the original hsf, i put it on my esd mat while making up the mobo and some of the paste came off and left a gap on the hsf. rather than risk a overheat, i got some cleaning fluid TIM clean, and replaced it with the akasa tape.

also, is there any rule whether a case fan should suck air out or blow air in? at the mo 2x case fans blow in, 1x sucks out. these are 12cm. the 8cm is on the reverse side of the mobo plate, and blows in. not sure what good this is. the other 12cm cools the hdds at the front.

the case is:

Description
    When looking at the CM 690, it's easy to be taken in by its bold lines and superb styling. But don't let its exterior fool you - the CM 690 is a lot more than just a pretty face. By utilizing a unique mesh design, the CM 690 effectively blends together both form and function, offering users a mid-tower chassis without compromise.

Specifications
    General Form FactorMid tower Max Mainboard SizeATX Supported MainboardsATX, microATX Specification ComplianceEPS12V/ PS/2 Internal Bays Qty5 Front Accessible Bays Qty5 Width21.3 cm Depth52.5 cm Height48.2 cm Weight9.8 kg ColourBlack Fans

Front : 1 x 12 cm - ( 1 installed)
    Rear : 1 x 12 cm - ( 1 installed)
    Top : 2 x 14 cm - ( 0 installed)
    Bottom : 1 x 12 cm - ( 0 installed)
    Side : 1 x 12 cm - ( 1 installed) - 1 extra installed (akasa)
    Side : 1 x 14 cm - ( 0 installed)
    Side : 1 x 8 cm - ( 0 installed) - 1 installed

System Cabinet FeaturesScrewless PCI card retainers, screwless drive bays, sliding HDD rails, SLI ready Expansion / Connectivity Expansion Bays Total (Free)5 ( 5 ) x front accessible - 5.25" x 1/2H
    1 ( 1 ) x front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H
    5 ( 5 ) x internal - 3.5" x 1/3H Expansion Slots Total (Free)7 Expansion Slot Interfaces2 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 PIN USB Type A
    1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - 6 PIN FireWire
    1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5mm
    1 x audio - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
    1 x storage - eSATA Power Power DeviceNo power supply Max Supported Qty1
    Last edited by Mr_Miyagi; January 2nd, 2009 at 05:40 AM.

So you put more tape on the hsf that came with the processor? The fan comes with tape on it already!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

So you put more tape on the hsf that came with the processor? The fan comes with tape on it already!

sorry, i edited the above post while you were typing the above...

I would redo the tape, yes.
    did you use this? If so, it is not recommended for Processor hsf work. The older pads I found where great for socket 370s and 478s...

I would redo the tape, yes.
    did you use this? If so, it is not recommended for Processor hsf work. The older pads I found where great for socket 370s and 478s...

damn it... yes, thats the tape exactly! i got it from maplins on new years eve in desperation !! i have now ordered some proper stuff

Description
    Akasa Silver Based Thermal Compound, 5g syringe/card,
    Hi performance silver based thermal compound The Akasa AK-450 thermal paste greatly improves cooling of the CPU over the standard white paste comes with the coolers. The paste is so effective that it cools the CPU down by as much as 9°C under stress conditions

make sure you spread it properly! Overdoing the paste is the easiest way to kill a cpu.

Follow the application instructions from Artic Silver here;

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

The rule is, really, thinner is better. All you are trying to do is fill in the micro-etches, not plaster a wall.

potential disaster! i have removed the cpu and the hsf but cannot get the cpu to release from the tape. i'm at risk of doing some damage here... help!!!!!