strange hugh rar files on root of c:\ - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: strange hugh rar files on root of c:\

Main reasons :

1. The MS backup creates a special extension for the backup file, And i wouldn't be able to restore the Acron!s image directly from the external usb drive
    2. I can't mount the image from the external drive while it's in MS file format.
    3. In order to access backup content, i need a computer with same windows backup installed in order to restore it to some folder

But xcopy doesn't create an image either.... unless you are creating an acron!s image every backup? Won't acron!s create the image directly to the external drive then?

Edit: will see about the filter on acron!s....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Let me explain :
    1. Acron!s Image is created every day on one of the server hard drives
    2. I made a batch file on the server desktop, And every day the secretary connects and external USB drive to the usb port of the server and runs the batch file, So xcopy copies the image to the external drive.

Now....When I used winrar, i set the filenames to add dates, That way i could create 7 different winrar backups to keep for a week, But since winrar gave me the problem that it did, I return to 1 day backup by xcopy.

So now you have not got a backup. If they copy over the backup with a corrupt or virus laden image, you have destroyed their ability to go back a few days.

I would suggest that you change the file name or drop it in a new folder each time you copy it over and delete the original on the server drive if the image is that big!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Noo, This is a SECONDARY backup.
    The main backup is done daily,weekly and monthly on an external WD drive that is connected to the server.
    The backup that I'm talking about is the daily backup who is copied by the xcopy batch file on two external usb drives that are taken each day out of the office by 2 different secretaries.
    I also offered him external backup on servers, But he didn't want to spend 20$ a month on a 10gb backup...Go figure lawyers....

Right ok, it sounded like this was the only backup... my bad.

As a matter of fact you're good....VERY GOOD

Now clients complain that while backuping, the server becomes slow, And he can't work......
    The xcopy copies file from one external usb drive to another. will it help if the source file will be on one of the physical drives inside the servers ?
    Maybe robocopy will do a better job but not overloading the system as xcopy ?
    Maybe I should use xcopy with some buffer settings ?

Hi Hagi,
    About the scanner - I have no use for scanner but 10x for proposing (I can hardly have time for myself since I started the new job)
    Robocopy is very good but tricky to set up
    I suggest something else which is very good for office files:
    1. use shadow copies - very efficient when it comes to "near line" restore
    2. Use BOS - http://chief.pnc.co.il/?doc=150043 - Eldad galker is one of the most knowledgeable persons I know for Backing/storing he literaly has Years of experience. you should attend one of his lectures. he is also a special character.

Always so happy to assist,
    Gabriel Levi
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Thanks gab.

Congrats on the new job...Obama's assistant ? :O)

Looked at this BOS thingy....Boy....It need some specs.....Too messy and expensive in my opinion.

Started to use DRP few months ago, And giving my client an option to backup remotly up to 5 gb per month on secured server at netvison's site for 13$ per month. Will give you more details in private if you want.