Firewire sound card on 1.6 atom laptop ?

Thread: Firewire sound card on 1.6 atom laptop ?

Firewire sound card on 1.6 atom laptop ?

Hi All,

A stupid friend of mine bought an ATOM 1.6ghz laptop, And wants to connect his firewire external sound card to it.
    The ATOM doesn't have firewire port, And he has been said that a simple usb to firewire cable won't do the job.
    Are there any suggestions ? He insists to connect that specific card.....

Without any PCMCIA slots to add a firewire card I would say he is SOL.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

yep.... any mini pci slots free is my only other thought... I guess he didn't think about his requirements before buying..
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

He is the MOST IMPULSIVE buyer on earth !!! He can buy a 100$ component and then spend 300$ in adapters to connect it to another component he bought.......But...Hey.....you can't say he's not good for the economy :O)

Great for your income then...but I don't think he is going to like the answer this time.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well since it is using the Atom Processor I am assuming it is a NetBook which every one of them I have seen have no or very little access to upgrade anything. I have looked at Models from Dell, ASUS, ACER, and HP. Some had access to the ram and HardDrive but others were sealed completely and I would assume you would need to take it apart to upgrade. I do not think they have any MiniPCI slots as the motherboard is tiny and cramped as it is.

I have been asked a lot about those NetBooks lately from co-workers, friends and Family. THey are all drawn in by the cheap price tag. After using the Dell Mini that our Dell rep gave us for free I must say they are not really worth the price unless you need a small ultra-portable Internet or very basic usage computer. The Dell Mini that I had Had a 16GB SSD Hard Drive and 1GB ram and running XP Pro it performed terribly. The other brands I tried performed the same. It runs better with Linux but most end users are not willing to go that route. Also I think for $100 more you can get yourself a nice actual notebook and get more power/features. I think the Netbook we got with the upgraded Hard Drive and Ram was like $450 and for $499 we could have gotten a Dual Core AMD Processor Based laptop with more ram, 10x the hard drive space and a 14inch LCD.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

He doesn't buy his things from me. I'm not willing to sell to a person THAT impulsive. My peace of mind worth millions :O)

Thanks BOB for sharing from your own experience. After reading reviews on some hardware sites about this ATOM based computers, And since it's ultra low performance even for the net and office, I wouldn't take it for FREE.
    It is far wiser to buy a dual core laptop which costs an addition of less than 200$ here in israel....and cheaper abroad....
    Although I like the wave of the many companies that did came out with a cheap oriented laptop. I guess the buyers are like mice labs for this 1st generation of ULV processors, And we'll see some neat cheap models in less than a year's time....

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoper View Post
    He is the MOST IMPULSIVE buyer on earth !!! He can buy a 100$ component and then spend 300$ in adapters to connect it to another component he bought.......But...Hey.....you can't say he's not good for the economy :O)

Well if feels to release those impulses I could use a nice flat panel TV or something

Sure BOB, But the downside is that he is moving to LIVE WITH YOU !!! :O)

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoper View Post
    Sure BOB, But the downside is that he is moving to LIVE WITH YOU !!! :O)
    Awe Damn! I didn't know there were strings attached.