MS Tun miniport adapter in XP

Thread: MS Tun miniport adapter in XP

Question MS Tun miniport adapter in XP

I have looked everywhere to fix this problem and just found this cool place to ask a question.

I have a Iomega CD/RW external drive which used to work fine with my IBM Thinkpad R31 running Windows XP SP2.
    Then a few days ago it quit working, Device Manager tells me the device is Unknown, and I have a network adapter called Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter #2 with a yellow exclamation point, with error code 10.

I have looked on Microsoft's website, Google and lots of places and I can't get my Iomega CD/RW drive to connect and work.

Any new ideas?

Thanks!

We've been experiencing something similar here, but not with the same hardware as you're using. Ours appears more often with USB ADSL modems.

I know that you won't be able to remove the 'Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter #2', as Windows sees it as a device required for booting(?).

After extensive research, I've found out this component is part of IPv6. IPv6 appears to be available with SP2, but may've also been available via an earlier service pack or hotfix.

If you're not using IPv6 (I assume you wouldn't be), you can uninstall it by executing the following command (I recommend doing such in a a Command Prompt):

ipv6 uninstall

If IPv6 was installed at the time of execution, you will see...

Uninstalling...
    A reboot is required to complete this action.

Restart your PC to complete the process, as advised.

With IPv6 uninstalled, you _may_ be able to remove 'Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter #2' from Device Manager.

If not, there's certain registry keys that can be deleted to prevent the service from starting up during Windows' boot.

ANYTHING PERFORMED BELOW IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK...

Perform a search for 'tun miniport' in Registry Editor (Start - Run - regedit) and delete the resulting keys. When doing a search on my PC, the following keys are returned:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\t unmp
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\t unmp
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\tunmp

Yours may be a little different - not sure.

Restart your PC after deleting the registry keys and see whether 'Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter #2' is still present in Device Manager.

Please provide feedback, as this solution has _not_ been tested with the 'Code 10' error...

- stebie

I run the internet of a Router connected to 3 different PC's, i found the "Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter" in my device manager and it read "Code 10, cannot start", so i uninstalled the IVp6 and restarted but i still have no luck, what can i do now?

Quote Originally Posted by sweating_bullets15
    I run the internet of a Router connected to 3 different PC's, i found the "Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter" in my device manager and it read "Code 10, cannot start", so i uninstalled the IVp6 and restarted but i still have no luck, what can i do now?
    If you're game, you can go through the process of removing the mentioned registry entries. I suggest you back up the registry keys before going ahead, in case anything goes bad. As I've said, the registry modification is untested.

Also, ensure you haven't bridged any two network cards inside Network Connections. Apparently, this can also cause Tun to appear.

All fine and well, but I'm 99% sure that the miniport issue is unrelated to the cdrw issue.
    -Is the drive appearing in device manager? If so, what error message are you getting?
    -Assuming the drive connected via usb, do you have an external power source connected? Do other usb device work properly?
    -Have you tried flashing the bios to latest version?
    -Latest chipset drivers installed?
    -Can you try the drive on another computer?
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Angry MS Tun miniport adapter in XP

HI Stebie I don't have any of those entries in my registry, yet I still have the tun miniport #2 and no matter what I done it does not let me uninstall it.

Thumbs up

Well gang I finally got rid of all the tun miniports adapters I had in my pc.
    I am using XP Pro, and this is how I did it.
    First I uninstalled SP2, then I rebooted my XP PRo CD and when I selected install windows it gave me two options, new install or upgrade, I selected upgrade, it looks like it did a good repair and did not delete any of my programs, then I did all the XP updates (SP2,etc) and when it was finished no more TUN Miniport adapters.
    Don't know if what I did will work for everybody, so be careful, all I know it worked for me.
    Now I will like to find out what was that installed them and why they can't be uninstalled easily , except the tcip/6 via the uninstall command

Lightbulb

I have had the same problem and really don't know why? The solution is simple: Go to "network Places" and look at properties of connections. Besides "Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing...", "Microsoft TCP/IP", etc., there is an entry with the name "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6". Just uninstall this and the problem should be gone.

Smile Quick Solution

Quote Originally Posted by HighLight
    I have had the same problem and really don't know why? The solution is simple: Go to "network Places" and look at properties of connections. Besides "Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing...", "Microsoft TCP/IP", etc., there is an entry with the name "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6". Just uninstall this and the problem should be gone.
    I can't say anything about the others, but this one works great. Thanks!!!!

YB_J

In my XP SP3 there appeared multiple devices of Microsoft Tun Miniport in device manager with yellow exclamation mark.

This was related to the use of "Show/Hide icons for networked UPnP devices" in the explorer bar (left of main display) of "My Network Places".

If I have it to show (e.g. to see a router icon in network connections and in tray),
    then click "hide" by making the selection in the explorer bar, and restart, this
    additional exclamated device appears which is not possible to uninstall.

In the past I managed to uninstall if I remember well by installing again the equivalent
    "UPnP User Interface" in the Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs\Add/Remove Windows components\Networking Services, restart and then uninstall the additional devices in device manager.

In any way, I avoid using this button "Show/Hide icons for networked UPnP devices" and
    instead use the Control Panel. Since then I had no additional devices.

Welcome to Windrivers Andron

Thank you for the tip. Those sort of bugs are very annoying. Did you try uninstalling them in safemode?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Welcome to Windrivers Andron

Thank you for the tip. Those sort of bugs are very annoying. Did you try uninstalling them in safemode?
    I had this issue long ago (multiple tun miniports), noticed that additional ones (#2, #3, and so on) were created each time I'd hidden UPnP devices, and had resolved that (uninstalling #2 etc.), but I cannot recall the exact procedure I followed (unforunately didn't make a note) but that was not something heavy with registry editing or similar.

It happened again lately, just restored before UPnP was hidden, and then uninstallled User Interface from Control Panel without having the issue.

In the next few days I will recreate the problem (show UPnP) and define the exact procedure to get rid of error devices.

What I am sure of is that XP behaves differently when "hiding" and when "removing component". It might have something to do with the firewall setting "exceptions" for UPnP Framework. I will try with firewall off, safemode etc.

No need, I was just curious if you already had the info.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Managed to recall what I did!

First, though not sure if absolutely necessary, uninstal "UPnP user interface" from XP
    components "Networking services", disable services "Universal Plug and Play Device Host"
    and "SSDP Discovery Service", and restart just to avoid the obvious UPnP parts.

Then regedit, and go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}

Find the subkeys that refer to Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter, there will be as many as
    appear in device manager. The first one will be the one with the plain name, and the rest of them will be with sequential number (#2, #3, etc.). Below is sample of my first:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\0012]
    "Characteristics"=dword:00000029
    "ComponentId"="*tunmp"
    "NetworkAddress"=""
    "InfPath"="nettun.inf"
    "InfSection"="TUNMP.ndi"
    "ProviderName"="Microsoft"
    "DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,62,c5,c0,01,c1,01
    "DriverDate"="7-1-2001"
    "DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.2180"
    "MatchingDeviceId"="*tunmp"
    "DriverDesc"="Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter"
    "NetCfgInstanceId"="{A30AB7C7-B64C-4721-8DFA-2F247CB8A93A}"

If you want to make this removable just change "Characetristics" from 29 to 1 (in hex).
    Open device manager, uninstall, and there it is!

In the future just avoid to make use of "My network places" and use Control Panel instead.

Right thanks. You don't need to avoid my network places if you have turned off network discovery.