Adding SATA driver to Acronis T11 Boot Disk
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adding SATA driver to Acronis T11 Boot Disk

Adding SATA driver to Acronis T11 Boot Disk

Hi,

Can any of you guys walk me through adding a SATA driver to my Acronis Boot CD? When I boot to the CD, it does not see any SATA drives on my bench computer. I have Asus P5P800S mobo, Intel 848P chipset. I submitted a request to Acronis support, but that was a long time ago and I need to get the ability to restore going, as I am imaging a Vista drive right now, but could not restore it to the SATA drive it lives on if I had to, makes me nervous.

Thanks for any help,

Glen
    God is a comedian, playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh - Voltaire

I would think nLite is the way to go - http://www.nliteos.com/
    Last edited by CCT; February 4th, 2009 at 11:10 AM.

What version acronis do you have? Have you created a "safe mode" boot cd?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

T11

True Image 11

What is a Safe Mode CD?

I just tried to add the command line for ACPI=Off no acpi to another bootable disk, but haven't tried it yet. Don't know if that will help or not.

You create the boot cd... there are two, full and safe mode. Full doesn't have the sata drivers, safemode does.
    ACPI is powermanagement and has no effect on the SATA drivers
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for that!

I just tried to restore a .tib file using the newly created bootable disk (I guess I made a full one, I didn't see any choice on types and made the disk before I read your post) with the extra command line for ACPI and this time it found the SATA drive, it called it a SCSI interface, but it did find it. I am performing a test restoration now and will get back to you. Also after I take a look at the Full/Safe Mode options, maybe I made a Safe Mode one and didn't know it.

PS What is curious to me is that I have no problems seeing the SATA drives when I image them, only when trying to restore the image to a SATA drive do I have a lack of drive recognition.

The recovery is proceeding now, looking just fine. This again is after I added the command line (I spotted it on another forum). It seems to have worked, as I did nothing different to that from making this disk and the one I made previously that did not find the SATA drive. This one did. Thanks again for working with me on this.

Adjusting partition sizes

Just one added question about Acronis in general: Is there any provision for adjusting the size of partitions when recovering with T11? I imaged an 80GB IDE laptop drive in order to replace it with a 320GB IDE drive, and wanted to open up drive C to a much larger size, but Acronis forced me to have the same size for C as the drive that was imaged, and forced me to have the unallocated space (which later I created as drive E) to have all the extra size gained with the larger drive. With Ghost (I've been using 2003 for a long time), I could have adjusted the size of the partitions during the restoration and had the much larger drive C that was desired.

I see what you mean about the partition here is a how to

On the driver front, the drivers are installed and in use, so it sees them... when you restore there are no drivers so it doesn't see it unless you have specifically fed the drivers into the cd.

Thanks for that link, next time I am going for a larger drive, that will come in handy!

Acronis Safe Mode

NooNoo - How do I create a safe mode bootable cd.

When I use the option to create a bootable cd I only get 2 options
    1. Acronis True Image Home (full Version)
    2. Acronis Drive Cleanser

I have 2 sata drives (c & D). When I try restoring I get "No hard Drives Found"

I'm using Acronis True Image Home Ver 11.1, Build 8053

Welcome to Windrivers snifferpro

On page 77 of the manual it says

You may also wish to add Acronis True Image Home safe version when creating your
    bootable rescue media. ... To
    add this version, you should download the appropriate installation file from Acronis web-site and then perform installation. After installation the Acronis True Image Home safe
    version will appear as one of the components to be offered by Acronis Media Builder for
    placing on the bootable media.
    You will need to login to Acronis website to get the update.

Welcome to Windrivers, snifferpro! You need to download a free plugin from Acronis to make a boot CD with the Safe Media option. To do it, you need to go to your Acronis account page. If your copy isn't registered yet, register it, then click the "Registered Products and Support" link on the left side of the page. Under your registered product info at the center of the page, you will see 2 plugins available for download. They are .msi files. To install the Safe Mode plugin, just run it. Now the Create Bootable Media tool will include an option to put the Safe Media plugin on a bootable CD, so you'll need to make a new boot CD to include this option. Booting from the new CD will offer you an option to use Safe Media recovery mode in addition to full mode.

If you have a controller that the Linux kernel on the CD just won't support, you can create a BartPE boot CD that includes the Acronis BartPE plugin and you can include the drivers for your controller in the build. Of course, using the Safe Media plugin is much quicker and easier. Hope it works for you.

Edit: See what happens when you stop in the middle of a post to take a call?

Thanks for the info guys. I will check out the webiste for the download.

Seems to me though that this should be part of Acronis software product by default as most new systems are now built with SATA drives.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

It's one sure fire way of stopping those who would pirate Acronis though.