Slow BIOS

Thread: Slow BIOS

Slow BIOS

Hi Guys,

Got the kids computer in today, EVGA SLI triple (pared down to just one GX-280 while testing), Intel Quad Core CPU.

Anyway, I get a POST beep right away, but... the detection of drives and the rest of BIOS prior to looking for an OS (I'm not at this point sure it's going to get that far) but here's the question:

Do you guys ever get a post process that goes at a pace of about one character per second (SLOWLY)?

It's been trying to post for about a half hour now.

Like I said, I pared it down to one video card, tried disconnecting both the SATA drives (not RAID, just JBOD), reconnecting, it just finally made it to Setup CMOS Reacting to me I guess pressing the DEL key to see if any response), it's painting in the lines around the dialog screens one line at a time! I reseated the RAM, but it always puts out video right away, just SLOW POST.

I will no doubt be reporting back as we go along, but any first impressions here?
    God is a comedian, playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh - Voltaire

Is the cpu fan attached correctly? Did you attach it or was it shipped attached?

ps: wouldn't hurt to tell us what mobo

Make sure that your jumpers are set right and cables not sharply folded if using IDE drives, and be sure that no U.S.B. drives are plugged in, I have had this happen a few times before. Good Luck!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

We installed a Thermalright Ultra 120 Heatsink here in the shop, it displays the temp on the fan: 25.7 degrees currently, always ran cool and stable for 6 months now.

No IDE on rig, just two SATA's, one for OS, one for data. No USB's plugged in. Just started to balk on POST this week.

Check the psu outputs using Everest or something.

I would also suggest pulling the Sata's and temporarilly running a new install Sata to see if maybe there is some virus/rootkit involved.

The idea of a Bios fault/virus just doesn't seem reasonable UNLESS the user messed around.

Confirm the Bios version/date.

edit: I should also have mentioned a Bios reset is in order as part of the troubleshooting.

Last edited by CCT; March 7th, 2009 at 06:32 AM.

Did it work glen?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

We set the BIOS (he flashed the latest version) to defaults, no improvement. He did mess around with BIOS a lot, but defaults, failsafe, no improvement.

All SATA drives were disconnected, all USB, minimal config, etc., still no improvement.

New motherboard is on it's way.

P.s.

P.S. When I say he flashed the BIOS, this was prior to this problem. There was NO way this motherboard was going to get flashed after this current problem. It just would not cycle through it.

Let's hope the replacement is a tad better.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

New motherboard did the trick

Just wanted to update you guys, we got the replacement motherboard, and after a couple of hitches in our giddyup with flashing the BIOS and tweaking the memory voltage, we have a stable system again. He opted to forget the EVGA and replaced with Asus.

Good stuff!