ive tried everything, no sound on my laptop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ive tried everything, no sound on my laptop

Question ive tried everything, no sound on my laptop

hello everyone. i'm new to the forum. i have a gateway mx7515 laptop. it was running xp, my husband upgraded to vista ultimate x64. when he first did this, we searched and searched to find a way to fix it. we succeeded. then he decided to reformat. we lost the drive. i don't know which one it was that we tried that worked, i only remember that it showed "test mode" in all four corners. that was a small price to pay for the sound. so now we are back at square one. i searched all over the internet trying all different kinds of drivers from like 5p-4a yesterday and into this morning. i'm stuck. someone please help me. i have been to gateway.com. that's no help. they don't have upgraded drivers for vista. and say they never have. so look, i put a question about it on yahoo answers. no one knows and they just want to give me jibberish, when i know there was a solution before, so there is now as well. so please don't tell me i need a new sound card. i know there's a fix, somehow somewhere. also, i have downloaded realtek ac '97 and it shows up under my devices with a yellow ! mark and says code 10. when no drivers are working it shows the sound devices area with a yellow ! mark with no name of devices. is there a certain way that i am missing to install it? i'm restarting as it says to do.

please help me! i'd really like to have my sound back. i don't know much about computers, so please try to help in a patient matter. lol.

Welcome to Windrivers Skoz

It's a bit difficult to sort out what you mean about
    my husband upgraded to vista ultimate x64. when he first did this, we searched and searched to find a way to fix it. we succeeded.
    You seem to be saying that you upgraded from XP and found a fix for the sound... what was that fix?

The laptop will never run Vista Ultimate fully since you only have a 64mb Video card... therefore most of the graphic features won't be available. What reason did you have for putting Vista on this laptop? If you wanted it to run at 64bit, then you may be better served by XP64 or one of the Linux distros such as Ubuntu.

There is little point in raging against Gateway. Gateway never intended for this laptop to run Vista. The fact that you want to do something with it, for which it was never intended is your choice, not Gateway's fault.

I have checked with a number of similar laptops made by other companies, none do a 64bit Vista driver for this laptop. I will continue to look, but I don't hold out much hope. Perhaps if you reinstalled XP, then did the upgrade as you did last time, Vista might work. I read one thread where the sound didn't work until the machine was put into standby and then woken up again. Whether that was for 32bit Vista or 64bit Vista wasn't clear... but it is likely that it was 32bit Vista.

I urge you to examine your reasons for wanting to put Vista on this laptop since it is much better suited to XP.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The driver linked to here was said to work on an MX7520;

http://64bitdrivers.com/driver.php?id=1375

As always with 3rd party driver links, scan well before using and read the instructions FIRST.

Good find CCT - mixed results in the comments ... the last comment would be the way to go...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

the reason for putting vista on this computer is unknown. this is something my husband did when he found a cheap version of vista in iraq when he was deployed. yes, we upgraded from xp to vista. and yes, it probably wasn't the smartest decision. however, we also didn't know that it was going to disrupt the sound. we reformatted and downgraded back to xp, still no sound. so we went back to vista and figured if the sound doesn't work on xp, we'd rather have vista. and we did find a fix and it was working before we reformatted. but afterwards we looked in windows old and everywhere else and could not figure out the sound driver that we used. so i was hoping to find a new solution by going to different forums and finding people that have either had problems such as mine, or know more about computers than we do.

i tried the driver that the guy up there suggested, but it says error when trying to install it. it says could not find media device. i have tried to "update driver" and try to install the drivers that way. the only one that even comes up after installing in my device manager is realtek ac '97. but while it shows up, it doesn't create sound. it just says code 10. this device cannot start.

Code 10 is a lack of resources or the wrong driver entirely.

You need to uninstall the realtek stuff. The sound didn't work on XP because you did not use the XP driver at Gateway I imagine.

Is the sound turned on in bios/setup?

i did uninstall the driver. i was just saying that when realtek was installed, it's the only one that shows up under my driver section. everything else i have tried has not showed up. it just shows the driver section with a yellow ! mark. i tried navigating through bios, but i don't know what the sound looks like since it doesn't just say sound. i have phoenix bios if you know how to get to the sound part, it would be fantastic if you could help.

also, my pci device says it's not installed. my husband said that wasn't a big deal and that i don't need it. but i just saw a thread where someone had theirs disabled and when they enabled it their sound work. i don't know how to enable my pci, if you could help me with that it could possibly fix my laptop. thanks for all your help!

The procedure detailed in this thread gets 'test mode' sound;

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=26653

Whether it applies to your comp I do not know.

omg that fixed it cct, thank you thank you thank you!!!!! you're so awesome! that's for doing your best at trying to help me, noonoo. you guys were great! i'm glad to see there's still patient enough people out there to help with problems! thank you soooo much! i hope you both have a wonderful day!!!

Great find CCT!

Skoz, did you download the hp driver on the top of that page or do the edits and download the files at the bottome of the page?

I am very pleased you got it sorted.

Great find CCT!

Skoz, did you download the hp driver linked at the top or carry out the instructions and download the driver files at the bottom?

i actually just clicked on the download on that page itself. i followed all the strenuous (lol) instructions and it worked perfectly.

Yes there were two downloads... one at the top and one at the bottom. So if you had to follow the instructions, it must have been the one at the bottom - but I want to make sure just in case you have to follow the instructions for the hp download as well.

i clicked the attachment.