Serious fires in my state
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Serious fires in my state

Serious fires in my state

Yesterday was a dreadfully hot day, and we were warned conditions would be the worst for fires since the infamous Ash Wednesday of 1983. It reached 45°C (113°F) here and the state maximum was 47.9 (118).

The worst fires are well to the south of me, but there is a fire about 45km away. Yesterday and today we were blanketed with smoke, made worse yesterday by dust blown up by strong winds.

The death toll is rising, many houses and other properties have been destroyed, and it's only made worse by knowing some of the fires are being started by arsonists.

The army has been mobilised to assist:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...013404,00.html

That is screwed up. All arsonist should burn at the stake. I know what you mean and see. Southern California was also burned by arsonist
    and loose campers. old buildings that were land marks, gone, nice beautiful
    mountain homes toasted. It is a fricken waste.
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

Not only the loss of life from fire, but every asthma sufferer is also at risk.

I hope you stay safe Platypus.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Nasty for asthma sufferers, yes, and the very young and elderly already under pressure from severe heat...

Last report has deaths at 60, nearly 100 hospitalized (several critical, maybe 3 not expected to live), 640 homes destroyed.

Does Australia have the equivalent of FEMA or emergency help of some kind? Those are a nasty set of numbers. Are people staying too close to the fire and then can't get out?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, various agencies are involved, and Centrelink (federal government support agency) has emergency provisions. Many people were caught out by the great speed of the fires. There are images of multiple burned-out cars along roads, at least one person who died in their house used a motorized wheelchair - neighbours who found the house locked and no response thought they had been evacuated already.

Oh that is so sad...

We had similar fires in British Columbia's Okanogan valley.

I have friends who live in Kelowna. The wife in this couple started nagging her husband about getting the ladders out and putting the lawn sprinklers up on the roof as it became increasingly apparent that an evacuation order would be issued for their subdivision. Very begrudgingly, he did what she asked. Within hours they had to evacuate. When they were allowed back, theirs was the only house of several hundred that was left standing everything else was burnt to the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Ok...tain_Park_Fire

The big thing is stay safe. There is only one Platypus. Stuff can be replaced. Look after yourself.

Best of luck.

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!

You truly have my sympathy, Platypus. In the Texas Panhandle, we've had some terrible grass fires recently. In 2006 we had around 1.2 million acres (about 1900 square miles) burned. The worst mistake people make is underestimating how fast these fires can move. Our fires in 2006 were driven by winds that were as high as 50 miles an hour, and averaged around 30-40 mph. You need to be prepared to move quickly at the first notice of fires in your area and get out of the way.

My best wishes to you Platypus and dtay safe. We had our disaster here in Arizona last year on the Rodeo-Chediski fire . Such a waste and loss also due to arsonists.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Sad to hear that people will light fires without truly realizing the full consequences of their actions.
    Good luck Platypus hope all is well around you and contiunues that way.
    Stay Safe
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

The fires made the National News here this morning... very sad about the two children - their father put them in the car, then got one more thing from the house and when he came back, the car was engulfed. I wonder what it is that he wanted to get from the house... I wonder if he will ever forgive himself for going.

Anybody heard anything from our favorite punster?

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!

Reporting in!

It's smoky around here, but some cooler weather and calm conditions mean the fire threat is not high from the adjacent fire at this time. It's large (covering about 30000 hectares) and probably reaching about 30km away from Wodonga, but fires much further south are the ones causing the most concern.

The death toll has stood officially at 181 for a day or so, but authorities are embarking on the long process of gaining access to over 750 destroyed properties as they become safe to access, so it's expected the figure could rise considerably.

I assume they are unable to just carve a massive firebreak around it?