I really need and answer Ghost 2003 and Vista

Thread: I really need and answer Ghost 2003 and Vista

Exclamation I really need and answer Ghost 2003 and Vista

Hi all.

I really need an answer here and no one appears interested.

It is a very simple yes or no answer.

My question relating to using Ghost 2003 with Vista has been answered, for this I am grateful.

The answer is that 2003 can be used if 3 commands are entered into the Command Prompt so that the image will be recognized by Vista when retrieved.

What no one seen to want to supply an answer to is:

Once entered into Vista, will those commands remain within Vista forever and work each and every time any subsequent Ghosting are made.

OR:

Do I have to enter these commands prior to each and every Ghost 2003 backups being made?

You answer would REALLY be appreciated.

Regards

"It stays on the image, so you wouldn't have to do it to that hard drive again"

I did answer that, once entered into a Vista®image, they are there forever. They will NOT have to be re-entered again. Hope this helps!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Hi Guts3d.

I must really be thick and or not understanding the terminology.

Do you mean, once entered onto the "actual" Vista Program that I work with every day, it will remain there for ever and never having to enter it again, eg. the same as if I were installing something like as Vista update?

I understand that the copied image will carry it through, it's the master copy remaining on the HD that I am interested in.

I really am have a trouble with this..............SORRY

Regards

AFAICT, the 'image' has additional data re Ghost - the 'restored' system does not.

Why would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Janset View Post
    Do you mean, once entered onto the "actual" Vista Program that I work with every day, it will remain there for ever and never having to enter it again, eg. the same as if I were installing something like as Vista update?
    Yes, that's how it should work. Once the Boot Configuration Data store is modified using those commands, it will retain that change unless something occurs to specifically reverse the Boot Configuration setting eg someone re-installs Vista from the original installation DVD.

With normal use your current Vista installation will remain "ready" for the next time you want to take an image incorporating updates or new software you've installed since the last image, without needing the 3 commands again.

If you want to be sure the boot configuration hasn't changed, just typing BCDEDIT from a command prompt will show the BCD data. (A BCD store is the equivalent of the older boot.ini file.) You can note how it reads now, and check any time to see if it has changed.
    Last edited by Platypus; February 27th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.

EXCELLENT!!!

Thanks guys.

Platypus, your explanation is the exact wording that I was looking for.

My apologies to guts3d for having a problem with his explanation.

Unfortunately Command Line entries and DOS commands are as familiar to me as the surface of Mars.

Don't you just REALLY hate being the dunce in the class?

Regards

Because I like puzzles, I have done a whack of research on this issue and it seems to come down to this;

Vista uses the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) rather than the old Boot.ini and on a Vista original install the BCD lists the boot manager and default operating system devices according to drive letter and partition, eg;

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=C:

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {current}
    device partition=C:
    osdevice partition=C:

The 'fix' being used simply changes that BCD to specify that Vista is the 'active' or 'boot' OS, eg;

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device boot

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {default}
    device boot
    osdevice boot

(there are other entries in the BCD, I just showed the changes)

Why is this necessary? From what I gather, when you restore a Ghost image it doesn't recreate the original BCD data (specifically the partition/drive id).

The OS wants the original data on the MBR disk signature and for some reason the 'imaged' OS doesn't appear to have that correct anymore.

ref: http://www.multibooters.co.uk/mbr.html

I hope I am not confusing this issue for anyone - if so, kick me!

Hi CCT

No you did not confuse me, the explanation is very clear and supplements what I have since read on the net.

I too like to know how things work and that was in part why I asked this question originally, but the fact of the matter is that I do not always understand the answer as it is given, I need to have it re-phrased, as in this case. I understand now.

Regards