IE great with Ethernet, not with dialup

Thread: IE great with Ethernet, not with dialup

IE great with Ethernet, not with dialup

Hi Guys,

I have a Compaq with XP Home here, did a complete software rebuild, installed all updates, IE 7, Service Pack 3, using the ethernet connection and DSL, but when I went to test the dialup modem (customer's only access to Internet), I can not load google homepage, no DNS resolution, cannot display the page. I use google because it's a quick loader for dialup customers. It dials and hooks up just fine, mind you, just can't load home page of IE browser.

I'm going to make this post, then try to ping a website from a command prompt and the get back to you, but any thoughts on why browse just fine with ethernet port (built-in NIC on motherboard), but not with dialup?

I'm going to try Firefox also.

I tried another brand new modem of a different brand than factory, same problem...

I believe I still have an alternate ISP that I can test with also. I will check back with you guys after I try these.
    God is a comedian, playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh - Voltaire

OK, dial in, connect at 44kbps, open command prompt and type- ping yahoo.com, can't find server.

Tried Firefox, can't find server for google.com

Can you ping the ISP?

I will try pinging the ISP, thanks for that....

I just tried using an alternate ISP and it displayed google.com

I wonder why this happened, and if I am the only account with this particular ISP that has this DNS resolution problem or if this is spread out over more accounts than mine.

Anyway, for now at least it looks like we are OK, as the alternate ISP I tried happens to also be the ISP of my customer, so I think now we are good to go.

Sounds like IE/FF was trying to use the settings for dsl... sometimes you have to go into internet options, connections tab and rerun the setup.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I don't think that was it, I had set the Connections tab to dial if a network connection was not present, so that it was covered both ways. When I tried the alternate dialup ISP, it connected via dialup just fine. Must have been the domain resolution at the first ISP I was testing with that day.

Never mind, I see that you've already got it working.
    Last edited by DonJ; March 12th, 2009 at 02:04 PM.
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Hi Don,

I did try setting it to "Always dial my default connection" just to make sure it was ignoring the NIC, but as I say for some strange reason, when it dialed ISP #1, after successfully connecting, it just stopped there and could not resolve the homepage (or any other I tried) and gave "cannot display". When I switched to ISP #2, it dialed, connected, and displayed without any problem. I never saw that before.

Almost certainly ISP #1 DNS servers were hiccupping then or it wasn't giving you an IP after the handshake.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."