hellp on port forwarding

Thread: hellp on port forwarding

Question hellp on port forwarding

Hi,

I read the tutorial on:
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/conte.../29941/53/1/2/

It is on turning on a pc over the internet. I want to do this because I need to access my pc while I am away from home. I don't want to leave it on for power saving, trying to economize.LOL

Well, I got the wake on lan to work fine using the amd's magic packet utility. But now when I try to use websites that send magic packets to turn on my pc, it doesn't work. I am using this site to send the magic packet:

http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx

the site says it sent it successfully. However, the pc doesn't turn on. I believe I am not setting up my port forwarding rules correct. I was hoping someone could tell me which ports I should use.

I read this site on port forwarding:

http://www.portforward.com/

where I looked up my verizon westell f90-610015-06 which is not listed but I tried making rules to forward port 3366-3369; 5500; 2420; on tcp and udp but I can't get the magic packet to go to the pc.

On the belkin router I went to virtual servers like the tutorial says and tried making the same port forwarding rules I menitoned above. belkin router f5d9231-4 v.1

the verizon modem ip private ip is 192.168.1.1 the belking router is 192.168.2.1 and the pc I am trying to send the magic packet to turn it on over the internet is 192.168.2.5. I would greatly appreciate it if someone with expertise in port forwarding could help me send a magic packet and make it reach my pc in my home LAN.

again the pc does turn on if I send the magic packet within my LAN, so I know it is just my port forwarding rules that I can't figure out. I have also tried turning off windows firewall.

Thank you in advance!
    One's mastery is evaluated by one's ability to impart that skill onto another.

Hi,

Just in case anyone read this and wants the answer, I figured it out. Basically, you have to go to your modem and configure it to allow remote administration and it will tell you the URL ip address (the public ip) and the port number so you can log in from over the internet to your home network.
    Then you must go to port forwarding on that same modem and make a rule to forward the traffic on that port mentioned above to your router. (You have to have your modem in bridge mode so that it will forward internet traffic to your router). You can choose the service name you want in the forwarding name text box.
    Then, you have to log in to your router and do the same forwarding rule, it'll be under virtual servers (as is the case for my belkin router). But here you will specify the private ip address of the pc you want to access. That would be the ip address of the pc, you get that by going to start menu, run, type cmd and on the black screen type ipconfig, the first ip address is the ip address of your pc.
    Also, make sure that your firewall in control panel is set to allow exceptions and add the port you are using to access your pc over the internet.

This should do it, it worked for me. Thanks if anyone was trying to help me on this.
    One's mastery is evaluated by one's ability to impart that skill onto another.

I am glad you worked it out. It is an area in which I have zero experience.