Spyware Protect 2009

Thread: Spyware Protect 2009

Spyware Protect 2009

Hi
    We have seen this Spyware Protect 2009 infect 2 PC's at our company and so far we have not found a solution in getting rid of it. We have run Malbarebytes, Ad-aware, Spybox, CCCleaner. It seems there are several forums regarding this and no real solutions. Has anyone had success in removing this?
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

Tried Combofix at bleeping computer?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Actually from what I've had to deal with run combofix first then as a followup run malwarebytes to clean up the lesser infections that it brings with it. Do all of the cleaning in safe mode or you'll only get limited success.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Um, I've removed Spyware Protect 2009 a few times, but I don't remember any particular difficulties with it. I believe Combofix and Spybot did fine for me. However, I've run across a couple of variants of Antivirus XP, Antivirus 360, etc. recently that my these didn't kill, so you might want to try the current SmitfraudFix.

It's specifically targeted at this class of malware. The program is updated frequently, (even if version numbers don't reflect it) so just like Combofix, you always want to download the most recent build. Because it is has a specific target group, I would generally run it after you're fairly sure other pests have been removed. So, I'd do Combofix first, then Spybot or Malwarebytes Antimalware, then SmitfraudFix.

those Antivirus 360 ones i am able to remove in safemode with networking and using Malwarebytes
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    those Antivirus 360 ones i am able to remove in safemode with networking and using Malwarebytes
    Good observation! I've had a couple of Antivirus 360 variants that didn't fit the usual profile for infected files. The active executables were Ide02.exe and p1p.exe. Malwarebytes caught these for me in a quick scan, in fact.

But I've also had it miss some smitfraud variants that SmitfraudFix catches. The main reasons I continue to run Spybot first in preference to Malwarebytes are that I think it usually catches more nasties than Malwarebytes does in quick scan, and additionally, it scans for redirected hosts. That certainly makes post-pest cleanup easier. Combofix alone will kill most Smitfraud variants, but if it doesn't find them all, I generally use SmitfraudFix.

My primary complaints with Malwarebytes Antimalware are that the quick scan isn't quite thorough enough, and the full scan is ridiculously slow. But, I've certainly had it succeed where other tools failed.