Opening Small Shop

Thread: Opening Small Shop

Opening Small Shop

Just wondering if I need a Federal Tax ID. I will have no employees. I will probably sell a few odds and ends but nothing major. It will be located in Oregon.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

I think there is a limit - my CPA said that if I expected to earn less than $2,000 a year I didn't need to.

Also - look into all 50 states - some don't require residence or the company to be based there and it can be far cheaper (unless the laws have changed) - I think a lot of people register in Delaware.
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

Let me be the first to wish you good luck!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Normally, your Social Security Number would also be you Federal Tax ID in this scenario. But if you incorporate, get a partner, etc. it only takes about 5-6 minutes to apply for one online.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Normally, your Social Security Number would also be you Federal Tax ID in this scenario. But if you incorporate, get a partner, etc. it only takes about 5-6 minutes to apply for one online.
    Yes that is what I have been doing with my home based business. I find some vendors require a Fed ID to get an account with them. Trying to keep expenses down at the moment. If it don't fly I will just get out and go home based again.

Can anyone suggest any good vendors?
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Re: Opening New Shop

Basically it would be anyone you have had a good experience in dealing with in the past.

I have had great experience with a place out on the East coast for OEM and retail boxed parts: www.mwave.com

Some folks swear by NewEgg but you have to pay attention to their return policies.

For laptop parts: www.excelcomputerinc.com

Again, it really depends on the kind of work you plan on performing for the vendors you want to try. Plus, you have a great base of support here on the Forum.

My 2 cents worth.
    Maced
    Mace Computer Services
    Universal City, Texas

Kodiak, I'd look for some smaller, regional vendors for a lot of basics. I'd also think about maintaining an account with a big vendor. In the past, I've had the best relationships with D&H and ASI. Companies like this can give you access to some products and support you can't get from the smaller guys, but their pricing policies don't make them very attractive for small orders.

And, yes, newegg can be pretty hard to beat. I recently bought 12 19" LCD Acer monitors from them at a unit price my wholesalers couldn't match and got free shipping, plus a decent quantity break.

When it comes to cables and adapters, I'm going to give an unreserved thumbs up to CableWholesale.com. They beat Cables to Go, Cables Unlimited and Blackbox hands down on pricing and service.

For oddball replacement power supplies (non-standard stuff for some HP, Dell, Gateway, etc) I usually use Directron.com in Houston, and most of my LCD parts come from either lcdrepair.us or moniserv.com.

I have used Newegg a great deal until they added a restocking fee and uped their shipping. Used mwave a long time ago and will check them out again. There is also evertek and Malabs. Also pricewatch for some odds and ends. We also have Fry's localy which is hard to beat sometimes.

I will check them all and and thanks for the help and best wishes from you all.