Beta of Virtual XP Mode

Thread: Beta of Virtual XP Mode

Beta of Virtual XP Mode

Windows 7 will have a Virtual XP Mode - reports indicate it will be effectively an instance of XP that runs in a Virtual Machine, but has its desktop integrated with the Windows 7 desktop.

XP Mode is in Beta stage - Windows 7 Virtual PC and XP Mode Betas can be downloaded to try with the Release Candidate:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

The CPU it is to be used on must support Hardware Virtualization and this must be enabled in the BIOS.
    Last edited by Platypus; May 19th, 2009 at 07:36 AM.

I am looking forward to using that soon. I installed Windows 7 RC on a test box and I started installing my everyday applications and I have not had much time to play. Damn work and responsibility keeps getting in the way.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Virtual XP mode could certainly make my life easier in terms of supporting some customers with specific software requirements. One of the best features is that no separate XP license is required, unlike other virtualization software.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Virtual XP mode could certainly make my life easier in terms of supporting some customers with specific software requirements. One of the best features is that no separate XP license is required, unlike other virtualization software.
    Slight correction - a Windows XP license is needed and included with the base VM package that ships with the feature.

Also keep in mind that each virtual mode machine now means that you have, in effect, two computer to keep updated, two computers needing antivirus protection, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by rgharper View Post
    Slight correction - a Windows XP license is needed and included with the base VM package that ships with the feature.

Also keep in mind that each virtual mode machine now means that you have, in effect, two computer to keep updated, two computers needing antivirus protection, and so on.
    Uh, like I said, a separate license isn't required. There certainly is a need for AV software and updates for the virtual PC's, but I still think it's a lot better to be able to start moving customers to Windows 7 and deal with some extra support issues for apps that still need XP compatibility, than to update fairly new computers from XP to W7 as XP support starts to fade away.

Most of the customers I have that might need this feature, already use WSUS and centrally managed AV products. I think W7 is likely to be well received and adopted more rapidly than Vista, so the cost of a few extra AV licenses for a year or so is a cost effective interim solution.