Gerber Plotter HS 15 15" Plotter Driver

Thread: Gerber Plotter HS 15 15" Plotter Driver

Gerber Plotter HS 15 15" Plotter Driver

Can't seem to find a driver anywhere for this plotter.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

I don't know if that's intended to be used as a standalone.

According to the manual, the connection protocol is normal serial, but it's intended to be an optional extra for a larger system, and the Graphix Advantage control system of that "master" has the driver built in.

According to Gerber's Product Timeline, the HS 15 is:

"HS 15™ Plotter (1988)
    Optional 15" servo-driven plotter for SMIVB/GX4B, GSP SPRINT II and SuperSprint."

There's a lot of support literature here, but the HS 15 is in the legacy products category and there aren't any downloads evident for legacy models.

Yes we have the Graphix Advantage control system software installed and tried the GPS setup to setup the plotter but it didn't pick up on it so I thought there may be a drive somewhere I'm missing. It is attached to COM 1. Maybe it's on the cd somewhere I can just run the install on it. I will look again on Monday. This would be a big feather in my cap if I can get this thing to run for them. Thanks for the input.

I new it was old when I looked at the pc that died and it is a P100. LOL
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

If you have replaced it with a new pc, you may have problems with the com port not communicating properly.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, if the new PC is very much faster than the P100, you could try disabling 1st or 2nd level cache in the BIOS to see if timings are going wrong on the faster system.

Yes we did replace it with a Dell 2.0. I also installed the software prior to plugging in the plotter so could that be whats wrong or should the plotter just install itself. When I did plug in the plotter I didn't see any new device wizard pop up that's why I assumed that it needed a driver to make it run and I had to point it to that drive much like installing an old receipt printer installed on a com port.

I will look into disabling 1st & 2nd level cache also.

The customer figured the plotter was dead since it didn't even turn on anymore but once the new pc was in place the plotter started. I told him I wouldn't charge anything extra and I was in it for the experience anyway. I have only installed a couple other plotters but not this old. I'm just charging for the pc and data recovery. He's not in a big hurry so I have a little time to fool with it.

Once again I much appreciate the help.

You might want to bring this to the clients' attention;

http://www.gspinc.com/downloads/PDF/fastfacts/5255.pdf

edit: and is the new OS able to use any compatability settings for the GRAPHIX ADVANTAGE software?
    Last edited by CCT; May 16th, 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    should the plotter just install itself
    Have you followed the installation procedure, Pg 10 & 11 in the manual?

Yes I tried to add the plotter as described prior to this thread but when I clicked on the GSP setup it just sat there and when I looked in the task manager it indicated it was trying to start but it never did bring up the setup program.

It could be that the plotter is just no good to. He was going to get a new one anyway but found it strange it even started so I thought I would try and make it go. I will try and reinstall the software with it plugged in on Monday. He isn't open on Sat. Let you all know what happens. I didn't see any indication that would do the trick though.

Success. YAY. Reinstalling the software picked up on the plotter and listed it so I could set it up for use. Thanks for the help guys and gals.