Windows Server 2K3 DHCP

Thread: Windows Server 2K3 DHCP

Windows Server 2K3 DHCP

Starting a new thread since this is a separate issue. I have setup a Server 2K3 with DHCP (only thing running on it). A simple configuration but booting from LAN not pulling an IP. Once Windows loads, DHCP issues an IP, just can't seem to get it to pull one during bootup. Have tried three different devices (HP Thin Client, Neoware Thin Client, a blank VM) and all three fail.

Thumbs up Solved

Ok, so I fixed my own problem.

You have to set a predefined option on your DHCP server. If you are using DHCP and WDS on the same server, it does this for you automagiclly. If you are running DHCP on a different server from your WDS server then in the DHCP mmc you have to right click your server name, click Set Predefined Options, Click Add; Name: PXE Client; Data type: string; Code: 60; click Ok.

Right click 'Server Options' in the left field and click Configure Options, click Advanced, check 060 PXE Client, and type in String: PXEClient (no space between PXE and Client) and reboot services.

Is the 2k3 server doing DNS as well?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No, due to "circumstances" this server isn't even on the domain. Why do you ask?

Because DHCP will often screw up if DNS is not setup properly.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I don't know if DNS is my problem right now, but I am getting an PXE-E55 (port 4011 error) but there is a lot of information about that out there. But according to http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;259670 "Microsoft does not support the use of these options on a DHCP server to redirect PXE clients" but they also have this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257579 so who know what Microsoft is doing. My goal is to get the DHCP running on the same server as WDS, I am just not on Enterprise level admin so I can't authorize it.

Why can't you use the domain dhcp server? You don't want more than one dhcp on a network...

There is no domain DHCP. I am admin of our sub domain but we still fall under a larger command that doesn't like the idea of running DHCP. We are allowed (only with MAC filtering) but they are giving a lot of push back on authorizing my DHCP server. Running DHCP on a non domain server gets around them and gives me the right to authorize it.

aaah... must be a royal pita running around changing ips then...

Yeah, I normally like static on a well managed network, but with as much personal change over we have that is impossible. That is the life of a data Marine.