computer clicking at startup

Thread: computer clicking at startup

Question computer clicking at startup

I am running windows xp and have a gateway when I turn the computer on I hear a clicking noise then it says,ntldr file is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart I have done that but still have the same problem I can't even get it to boot up for the clicking noise.

Ky.Rose, you have a dead hard drive. I'm afraid it's replacement time. It's unlikely you will be able to recover any data from the drive short of sending it to a recovery center and spending big bucks. About the only good news I can give you is that drives are cheap these days. Sorry.

If it says ntldr is missing then it may not be all lost since it's still reading the boot sector. Go to a computer place/friend with knowledge and try to salvage as much as possible from the drive. If you have a USB drive you can use a bootable CD such as BartPE and copy the files in the order of importance. Don't try starting the computer otherwise, the drive it's about to give its last spin/breath.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

CeeBee has a good point here; perhaps I was being too pesimistic. Certainly it wouldn't hurt to connect the drive to another machine and see if you can copy anything off it, or even try a recovery with GetDataBack or PC Inspector File Recovery. GetDataBack can also be run from a WinPE bootdisk.

If it has a floppy drive in it and it is set to boot from floppy drive first in BIOS, it may be trying to do so with a non-bootable floppy. That will generate the same error message as you posted. Ensure there is no floppy in the drive and cross your fingers!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

The only other clicking noise I can think of is a stuck keyboard key... but that wouldn't account for a missing ntldr... I think either you are very very lucky and Guts3d is right or it is the usual click of death... Does it sound like this?

Explanatory video here
    Last edited by NooNoo; June 6th, 2009 at 04:55 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."