Netgear wg 602 v2

Thread: Netgear wg 602 v2

Netgear wg 602 v2

NETGEAR WG 602 V2

Can anyone help me install this I am typing in browser 192.168.0.227and I am getting,

401 Unauthorized
    Your client does not have permission to get URL / from this server.

I bought unit second hand, might it have a user installed password?
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Yes and there should be a reset button on it somewhere near the power socket (poke with a paperclip type thing) to reset it to factory defaults.

Download the manual here

I have one of those, reliable but gets warm so don't enclose it or stack it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

still no joy, pressed it in for over 10 seconds, just cant log on, do you think it may be faulty? when I enter password first 2 attempts just go blank again, then on third get unautherised message, maybe their site is down will try later.
    Last edited by TRICKPLAYER; June 6th, 2009 at 06:23 AM.

more info

My computer has 2 network connections, cable modem via router to connection 1 for internet, i have tried the access point in connection 2 and in router port, but no way can i log in to netgear website, have tried changing ip address to 192.168.0.210 and sub to 255.255.255.0 but cannot log in, reset wg602, twice, help

OK, for the moment, just connect the 602 to your lan port on the pc - don't connect anything else. The default address for the 602 is 192.168.0.1
    You should be able to access it from there with the default password (see the user manual linked earlier)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

sould i change the ip address in network connections? I dont quite understand what you mean, by only plug 602 in lan port as there will be no internet access if i unplug from lan 1, I typed in 192.168.0.1 in browser and it pickup my netgear router, sorry if i sound thick, i no nothing about wireless networks.

My bad, I thought this was the router, it's not, just the access point.

The access point needs to be wired to the router. You don't need the internet connection on.

The router's default ip address is http://192.168.0.227 when it comes from the factory.

The user name is
    admin
    the password is
    password

When you open the web page at 192.168.0.227 you need to put the user name and password in before you can see the web page which allows you to configure the 602.

Have you downloaded the user manual and the installation guide?
    Last edited by NooNoo; June 6th, 2009 at 12:30 PM.

When I click on link a box comes with the below message,

The server 192.168.0.227 at WG602 v2 requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection). you sent I get

I enter admin and password, it just goes blank twice and on the 3rd attempt I get.....................401 Unauthorized
    Your client does not have permission to get URL / from this server.

have have pressed reset a few times, I have downloaded manual but I just cant login, due you think the unit is faulty? my laptop detects netgear unsecure network, but I cant log in,

Thanks noo noo it has started working now

So it was just getting the right password typed? Or did you have to reset it a few more times?

I was doing passwords ok, I reset it again, I think that did it, I wonder if you might just help me make it secure, is this site any good? http://www.andrewscompanies.com/tools/wep.asp

I am on security pagr have donr WEP, AUTO, 128 BITS DO i just enter 1 key?

Wep is not as secure as WPA. Download the user manual and use WPA and Mac Address filtering so that your transmissions are encrypted and that people can't steal your bandwidth by guessing the passkey.

Generating a passphrase for WPA is easier - you can use a phrase that is meaningful to you, but not connected to you... so don't use your mum's name, but maybe use a saying with a date. People are frightened of losing these codes, so quite often I use a serial or part number off an appliance in the kitchen or living room when asked to set this stuff up. Utterly unguessable, but easy to look up for the owner.