Making a wired network printer accessible over a wireless network

Thread: Making a wired network printer accessible over a wireless network

Question Making a wired network printer accessible over a wireless network

Hello,

Strange problem I ran into today. I was hoping someone could explain to me why it doesn't want to work when the printer uses TCP/IP natively to transmit and recieve information through a CAT 5 network jack.

Here is the scenario: The goals is to turn a wired network printer into a wireless accessible device. The Equiptment I have:
    D-link DWG-2100AP (Working in Access Point Client Mode)
    D-link DIR-655 Wireless Router (Internet Gateway\Router)
    Samsung CLP-350N Network Printer.
    Generic 4 port Switch

So I have configured the Access point to connect to the Wireless DIR-655. I have a laptop plugged into a switch which goes through the Access Point and wirelessly connects to devices behind the DIR-655 or it can access the internet. Computers behind the DIR-655 can access the internet and can access computers behind the access point DWG-2100AP.

My Problem: When I plug a Network printer into the switch behind the Access Point ( DWL-2100AP) computers behind the DIR-655 cannot access the printer. If I move the printer behind the DIR-655 instead of behind the access point computers behind the DWL-2100AP cannot access the printer.

The communication to the printer seems to break the minute the packets go wireless. Any suggestions as to why this happens? I thought these devices would be following protocol. The connection to each network device should be transparent.

As I mentioned before I can have a computer behind the access point access a computer behind the wireless router and vice versa. The printer is the only device that seems not to establish a connection between the two devices. There is no routing required. Devices behind the access point and the router are all on the same network segment of 192.168.1.x

Thank you for your time as it is much appreciated
    Last edited by pbolduc; June 19th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

I am the first to admit I am not very knowledgeable in some areas, and this is one.

However, looking through the manual, the SetIP procedure would seem the logical approach.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...0_Guide_EN.pdf

Section 3.2

Thanks

Hi CCT,

I actually definately use the SETIP utility. I assigned a static IP address to the network printer on the same network segment. So the Printer was like 192.168.1.99 subnet mask: Default class C 255.255.255.0 and the workstations were like 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 as follows. The AP was like 192.168.1.253 and the Wireless Router was 192.168.1.254.

After exhausting much time into this dead end project I have decided to scrap the Access point and the printer and just go buy a Wireless laser printer so it can talk directly to the wireless router. However, I would be very curious to know if anyone else has been down this same path as me?

On some routers, you have to allow the printer - look under services on the browser page for the router/access point.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."