Windows XP Freezes

Windows XP SP2
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB
    1.5GB RAM
    160 GB Maxtor HD
    Sapphire X1550 Graphics
    Mcfee protection.
    Dual Boot with Vista.

I have an issue with Windows XP SP2, which I require some assistance.

Every time I boot into XP, after a short period of time XP freezes. It doesn't appear to be at any one point in time/ One cannot open any applications, click on the Start Menu etc, but the Mouse pointer continues to move, so is not a complete crash. I've also noticed that if I'm printing, the printer stops as well. This freeze also occurs before even signing in as a user. ctl-alt-del also doesn't work. Only option is a reset.

I've carried out several repair builds and HD checks, and cannot find any issues. Run Registry Mechanic & CCleaner.

I think all started when I tried to download an application, to speed up graphics presentation to prevent freezing for Youtube video, but cannot be sure. I know I had to abort download/install partway through.
    Last edited by howie7; June 30th, 2009 at 02:36 AM.

OK, what does the event viewer have to say?
    Does Vista freeze as well?
    Have you updated your video drivers from ATI?

Did you actually install the Youtube video software... did you run it or save it on the download? What software was it?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I don't have much doubt that your "software to speed up Youtube" was malware. So, I would download and run (in Safe Mode) Combofix for a start. You should rename the file to something like 123xx.exe instead of combofix.exe before you run it. I would also download and run both Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware afterwards.

When you install Spybot S&D, you should uncheck the option to use System Protection/Tea Timer. I would run Spybot right after Combofix and follow up with Anti-Malware's full scan, which can take several hours if there are many files on the computer.

Also, you really should avoid all of the registry cleaners and repair tools. Usually, they do more to hurt your system than help it.

I've ran Combofix, Spybot & Malwarebytes, and althoughit found afew files, it unfortunately hasent solved the problem. Thanks anyway.

I am currently trying to reinstall the drivers for my Sapphire X1550 AGP card, to see if this solves the issue. I am having difficulties in that XP wants a basic VGA driver installed first. I cannot get XP to do this.

However, if anyone has any other idea's, please let me know.

OK, did you uninstall the ATI software from control panel first?
    Did you look in event viewer? What errors are there?
    Which ATI driver are you downloading and where are you downloading it from?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

ATI drivers were being uninstalled from Control Panel 'Add & Remove Programs'. ATI driver being re-installed via supplied install cd.
    Unable to complete this due to xp continually freezing.
    Within event viewer, please advise where & what should I be looking for?
    System tends to behave in Safe Mode, but even here cannot install ATI driver.

It's possible you may need to run a Repair Installation of Windows, but first try booting Windows into VGA Mode. That's one of the options you get to using the F8 key at startup just like safe mode. What happens?

carried out repair install in vga mode. Completed success fully. However same issue exists. When desktop is booted in, the mouse pointer moves, but 9 out of 10, cannot select any icon anywhere. If I do manage to select ie. windows explorer, xp freezes just after.
    I am however still having issue with the ATI Graphics re-install, although the drivers exist.
    In the Event viewer application, there are errors:-
    'The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted. The bogus string is 12496, the bogus index value is the first DWORD in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third DWORD in Data section.' & 'Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.'

have a read here and try the fix.

Howie, the purpose of booting the computer in VGA mode was to see if you continued to experience problems with system freezes. You know, don't you, that a Repair Installation of Windows is normally done by booting from the XP CD, not from withing Windows, right? So, I'm curious about how you ran the repair in VGA mode.

I'm thinking he meant system restore rather than repair...

NooNoo, I've taken note of the WMI detail, and ran the script as supplied by Microsoft. It has returned a log file which came back with one error '1 error(s) 0x8004100C - (WBEM_E_NOT_SUPPORTED) Feature or operation is not supported
    18015 19:27:59 (0) ** ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    18016 19:27:59 (0) ** WMI Registry key setup:'.

I wasn't sure how to run the script / commands otherwise. I did this from the Safe Mode Command Prompt.
    Slgrieb, I ran a repair install in safe mode by firstly selecting VGA mode, then rebooted from CD.
    I'll try a system restore if it'll let me.
    Last edited by howie7; July 4th, 2009 at 01:47 PM.

ok but did you run the fix shown?
    rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository

Please can I have guidance onhow to run the fix. Do I run fromthe Command Prompt in Safe Mode?
    Just ran a further repair install. Made no difference. Takes about 30 mins to do last 2 mins of removing temp files.

you open a cmd prompt and type in the line shown for the os. I don't think it matters whether you are in safe mode or not... but if there is something wrong, safe mode has a better chance of not having something else blocking it.