Hard Drive Strangeness (Sadly I need help A.S.A.P.)

Thread: Hard Drive Strangeness (Sadly I need help A.S.A.P.)

Exclamation Hard Drive Strangeness (Sadly I need help A.S.A.P.)

Normally I wouldn't pull a I need it as soon as i can because I have to get it done tonight kind of thing but my employer ate up my whole tech bench night teaching me the fine art of conning clients out of money... Don't ask I'll talk of that later. I have a laptop that bluescreens when it tries to boot into vista. I slaved the drive into my win7 machine. It sees the drive but only as a big fat 0 sized drive that can't be accessed. However if I log into partition magic or acronis's partition manager they claim the partition is fine and can see it. If I try using a windows installation disk to run the recovery console it says that it can't find the drive. So has anyone else come across this? As far as things look to me his data is pretty much gone until I reinstall windows and try to use data recovery on a formated and reinstalled drive.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

OK first question - what is the bsod text, error message, error numbers and filename?

Have you tried looking at the drive slaved to an XP machine?

Have you tried imaging the drive to get the data and then exploring the image?

Does you win7 bios see the drive when it is slaved?

Does the laptop bios see the drive?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

RE: Hard Drive Strangeness

My first thought is that since it gives you a BSOD, it is launching the OS but chokes during boot. Possible boot sector sector problem or MBR.

Another thing to look at in the lappie BIOS is whether or not the hard drive has had a password assigned to it (you didn't say if this was one of the new laptops or an older one). If so, this could be a potential stopper when you slave the two systems.

Noo Noo was poking in the right direction as the BSOD error would at least provide a starting point with the Stop Error. Interested to see what this is...

Couldn't that situation occur if the drive was Sata running as IDE or AHCI and the Bios wasn't set correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by CCT View Post
    Couldn't that situation occur if the drive was Sata running as IDE or AHCI and the Bios wasn't set correctly?
    Not trying to upset you in any way CCT. Can you have Sata and IDE at the same time on a laptop??. I have seen it on Desk top Foxconn motherboard
    where you had both options. but on a little itty bitty motherboard
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

It is relatively normal to have an ide or ahci drive mode on a sata controller regardless of the motherboard. It isnt a different controller or connector, but rather a bios setting for the sata controller
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357 View Post
    Not trying to upset you in any way CCT. Can you have Sata and IDE at the same time on a laptop??. I have seen it on Desk top Foxconn motherboard
    where you had both options. but on a little itty bitty motherboard
    The point I was making refers to the use of Sata drives in either IDE or AHCI mode - http://www.google.ca/search?complete...de+modes&meta=

Perhaps I expressed myself poorly.

Now we wait to hear from Niclo
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Sorry I pulled a late night and passed out before I could post. Then had an early morning full of work. I used a vista disk and did a repair on the mbr. That seemed to fix the problem but I think there was more to it than just that. I think the board or the ram is bad but it passed testing. The reason I say such is that it took me 45 minutes to just access the menu to do repair, another 1 and a half hours to let it complete the repair and another 2+ hours for an error check to complete on the drive. Thank you all on your effort I just couldn't stay awake long enough to see the results.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Sounds like the hard drive is slow or bad or both... use mhdd to scan the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by maced View Post
    Noo Noo was poking in the right direction ...

So its all been guess work so far then Noo Noo?.
    Last edited by ADS_Tech; July 14th, 2009 at 08:54 AM.
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

Quote Originally Posted by ADS_Tech View Post
    So its all been guess work so far then Noo Noo?.
    Educated guesswork is the computer technicians stock in trade...let's face it, the complexity and interoperability issues means you get one symptom with several causes.... intuition also helps