Right Media and Double Click

Thread: Right Media and Double Click

Question Right Media and Double Click

Spybot S&D cannot get rid of some "Right Media" and "Double Click" nasties
    I have cleaned my computer with HijackThis and S&D in normal mode and Safe mode with and without network support, with System Restore "ON" and "OFF" but the "Right Media" and "Double Click" continue to appear after S&D does a full scan. I am not using Resident Protection though.
    The symptoms were ultra slow speed and the tale tell one that redirects you to another page when you open your IE.
    After scaning with HJT and S&D quite a few nasties were fixed but the ones I'm talking about, "Right Media" and "Double Click" stayed. After the 1st cleaning the only anoyance I suffered was that Google results get redirected to something else. If I opened an IE and typed the address myself it worked fine. After the third cleaning sesion Google was still doing the same, I gave up on myself and decided to do a research here for "Right Media" and "Double Click" but I did not get anything solid to help me with this specific situation. I think because the words are so common they appear in every thread. I turned System Restore "OFF" and it was then that Google results worked fine. I have three questions for you all.
    1st. Is there a tool that specifically targets this nasties?
    2nd Do you all think S&D cannot get rid of them two because I am not using Tea Timer?
    3rd Is it safe to turn System Restore back "ON"?
    I am running Windows XP SP3

Unhappy I eat my own words

I eat my own words.
    Google results keeps redirecting me to other sites. And not only Google, any search engine, Bling, Yahoo, you name it. When I click on the links from the results something else shows up. But it worked, like once or twice and I have not restarted my machine. Is there an end 2 this?
    I forgot, I am running IE8 but it is not new. I've had it for like 2 moths or so

First download and install Malwarebytes, update it and run it in safe mode, also I would suggest if that fails you that you need to get Combofix save it as a different name such as CFixer or something that you can remember, and run this in safe mode ONLY if malwarebytes fails you. Keep in mind that combofix has a very small chance of causing computers to not boot properly after running. If you feel you can't handle this leave it to someone who is more skilled in this type of endeavor.

OH I almost forgot, you can try using A Squared Command Line to try and fix this too. You will have to download it, save it, then unzip it to a simple directory say like C:\a2cmd. If you save it to that you can actually go to the command prompt and type this in a2cmd /f="c:\" /m /t /c /h /r /a /n /d once you access the a2cmd folder. It will take a while to complete but this does the job most of the time for me at least in breaking down an infection enough for the other scanners to work or succeed in cleaning.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; July 8th, 2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Adjusted details
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Martin-737, you DON'T want to run System Protection in Spybot S&D. And it won't help with your infection. Any entries you're seeing for RightMedia and DoubleClick are probably cookies, so they are just symptoms; not diseases.

NIclo has given you good advice, and that's pretty much where I would start.