serial adapter win vista

Thread: serial adapter win vista

Question serial adapter win vista

i have a dynex dx-ubdb9 serial cable to usb adapter that i cant get the driver to work on windows vista i was wondering if there were something i could do to get the driver insatlled?

hmmm I already answered this in your other post.... please don't post the same question twice.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Has anyone gotten this cable to work on VISTA? If so, how.

I would also like to know if there is some way to install this in a compatibility mode for XP or 2000 in VISTA, incase no one has gotten it to work.

Welcome to Windrivers Greybear

the drivers are here but I have not had any feedback as to whether they work in vista or not. The product details are here Perhaps you would be able to post the results? Thanks
    Last edited by NooNoo; July 12th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yep tried those. They failed to work. They installed tho.

It identifies the cable and appears to be working in the device manager, but does not identify the device I connect to it.

Looking at the supported OS, Vista was not one. Looking at the INF's, I was surprised that it even tried to install.

But to be honest, I am 1 step further than VISTA, Win 7 but it takes the same. I will work with it some more this weekend, see if I can find my old joystick and try to install it via the cable.

I even found another thread, it had drivers for this cable, and 2 others, I installed their drivers for Vista without success also.

Ill also double verify its working properly in XP.

Win 7 installs xp drivers quite happily... This laptop is running w7 and has 4 devices that don't have support past xp and yet they work.

The big problem with this conversion cables is that they assume a standard wiring and signalling. Usb to parallel cables are another hit and miss problem.

You would be far better off just getting a serial i/o card and fitting it.

Generally, serial devices are straightforward to connect by a USB to Serial device. For example, if you were connecting a simple printer like a tag or label printer. Where you run into problems is with more sophisticated devices.

A generic text printer might work fine with your adapter, but a laser printer might have a problem because the driver might not work correctly with the virtual serial port used by the USB to Serial adapter. I expect that's what's happening with your device.

Yeah pretty much whats happening.....

The device thats connected to it is a Polaroid Camera I had to give up when I went from 98 to XP for lack of drivers....

But with the USB cable, it never acts like anything is connected to it in Win 7.

Well, have you checked for updated software for the camera itself? Polaroid's support site is here, but it requires a model number to find information, and I've no idea which camera you have. Yes, that's a hint.