Fantom Hard Drive won't initialize for format~!!

Thread: Fantom Hard Drive won't initialize for format~!!

Angry Fantom Hard Drive won't initialize for format~!!

I bought this Fantom 1TB hard drive to backup multimedia. I had it for a month and the power "solenoid, supply, something" blew up and covered the board with white conductive material...
    SO I sent it in to a computer shop close to home... he said he fixed it and there was a problem with the cable itself. Came back plugged it in and it said bad sectors, try and fix. So I did. Left it going for almost a full day and it was finished said it did its thing. I could access all of my multimedia (THANK GOD) I tried transferring it to my computer hard drive so I can format it due to the bad sectors. Only certain things would transfer.
    SO I said screw it and went to format the thing with the remaining information on the hard drive. The format got to, I'm guessing, 5% and stayed like that for 2 days. I canceled and now it wont have a drive letter under My Computer but is recognized through the device manager and computer manager.
    I tried to go under the computer manager to fix it. It came up with an error that "Disk 2" is Unallocated and Not Initialized. I tried to initialized and it says "The drive cannot find the sector requested." Therefore I can't format, access, or anything to this drive... Can anyone help me how to revive this presumably dead P.O.S.?!?

Sorry to say this but sounds like it was dead the moment this "solenoid" blew. Once you got it back and found it had bad sectors is why. Think of bad sectors on a hard disk the same way you'd look at holes in your wall. When the system says it's "fixing" them it really is just hiding them. Kind of like putting wallpaper over the hole. You can't see it but it's still there and it just takes a little bit of effort to make the problem come back. The other issues you state after the bad sectors all correlate with a dieing/dead hard drive in my experience.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

I'll agree with Niclo - sounds like the HDD is shot. I hope it still has a warranty.
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

Yeah.... I bought it off of NewEgg.com, on sale, no warranty... I guess it's okay cause I won a PS3 in a drawing they had when I bought the hard drive. So I pretty much got a brand new 80gb PS3 for $60 LOL. Still wish I had an external though. Alright, thanks! I just needed some reassurance that pitching it wasn't out of the question.