Terminal Server Bug

Thread: Terminal Server Bug

Terminal Server Bug

Hi there.

I have a complicated setup so i wont get into too much detail. However the problem i've been noticing is this:

When a user uses the Microsoft RDP Client to connect to a terminal server all is well.... This connection goes through a VPN to an offsite server. When the Internet connection goes down it is suppose to disconnect the Terminal Server user from the server. What is suppose to happen is a GPO has been setup to keep disconnected sessions alive for a day so that the same user can reconnect to their disconnected session. However if the physical connection goes down and the terminal server session is dropped the users session is ended losing any work in progress. But if the user clicks the little X button in the RDP session window the session is disconnected and they can reconnect within 24 hrs. Why isn't a physical connection drop / a disconnected session drop the same? Is this a known bug in 2003 Terminal Server? Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

I would guess this is by design. When you use the "X" to drop out of the session you are notified that your session may continue and you are given a chance to confirm this. But a dropped connection doesn't get the chance to ask/answer this question so the session is terminated.

Hmm..

Thanks for the reply... I never thought this would be a feature by design. Having a logged on profile that has been abrupted by a terminating connection I would have thought the session would have first entered into a disconnected state then after the disconnected state time frame expires the system would then end the session. Which I would think could be specified by a system computer policy. I might have to call Microsoft to see what they really were intending with the remote desktop connection program. I know my customers who loose connection and loose their work because of it sure get a little annoyed. Thankfully they are all using a wired internet connection and not a wireless one so it is not too often they lose their work. However most of them are save crazy now.. This might not be totally a bad thing. But is it worth the 259 dollars US to find out if this is a normal feature?

If anyone else could shed some light or has experience dealing with dropped Terminal Server Sessions I would much appreciate your input. Thanks again.