Recommendations on a managed Switch

Thread: Recommendations on a managed Switch

Cool Recommendations on a managed Switch

Hello again Everyone
    My network of Dlink based routers (Di 624) and wireless access points has been working fairly effectively but for all intensive purposes I am running blind and at the mercy of some of my guests. Over the past year we have had no major problems but some guests are leaving and the new ones are just itching to consume all the bandwidth they can muster. My contract with Telus will be ending and I have already made arrangements for Lightspeed to start providing service. I am looking for good stable ping times with reasonably fast speeds selling bandwidth starting at 200gigs per month instead of 60g/month. I will probably test out Primus because they are the only isp, I know of, offering unlimited bandwidth usage. We have also been testing Shaw cable but that only comes in 60 or 100 gigs for the month and service can suck at peak times.
    I believe the next step for my network would be to introduce a managed switch to connect most of my access points to. I am lead to believe this would allow me to directly see the bandwidth each access point is using as well as control the amount that each port on the switch would allocate to that ip address.
    I am not familiar with the GUI that each switch would use as well as which would be more helpful in sharing information to a server through SNMP or Host MIB.
    Some of the aftermarket management software I am trying to learn mentions the need for devices on the network that have that capability.
    When I called the Dlink tech support on the protocols the DI 624 supported I was given conflicting answers. Level 1, 2 and 3 all told me it was just a matter of opening the right ports. I got a call back from Dlink informing me that he was sorry that I had been misinformed and that they didn't support SNMP. He also told me that Dlink didn't sell network Management software.
    I have seen this software advertised on their website for about $2600, not that I am interested it was just more of a test.
    I have found Dlink to be excellent products for the money and have not been disappointed in their warranty.
    Dlink tech support has also been a great help in getting my network started, beyond the basic is another matter. A guest of mine who we refer to as a "recovering techsupport" tells me that tcip has SNMP support built in
    and that any device that uses Tcip should have that capability. Problem is how do you access it if the firmware wasn't designed for it.
    I only need about 8 ports max and my network is 10/100.
    I thought that if I found the right switch to help control QoS, etc it would buy me time to learn to use new software, which I would install on a server, at a later time. This would allow me to access the SNMP protocol as well as whatever protocols are needed to help me keep track of how much bandwidth is being used by each guest.
    I am looking at switches in the $300 to $450 range so far and have just started to scratch the surface in this area

Some I have found are

DGS-3200-10 xStack Managed 8-Port Gigabit L2 Switch, 2

DGS-1216T Web Smart 16-Port Gigabit Switch with 2 Combo SFP
    Both from Dlink
    as well as
    GSD-800S 8-Port 10/100/1000Mbps Web Smart Gigabit Switch from Planet.

The DellTM PowerConnectTM 2808
    The dell probably isn't an option because the warranty is only a year.
    The Dlinks are Limited lifetime, I believe.
    But the GSD 800S from Planet technologies seems to have more interfaces and is industrial grade. Haven't seen the price on that one nor its warranty.

Anyway I am looking for improvements on this portion of my upgrade and looking forward to hearing your input.

Is there such a thing as a server that has 5 or more Ethernet ports that would do the same job as a managed switch and a separate server? One that comes with management software included?
    Also if you can give me a heads up on what to stay away from it would also be appreciated.
    I await your input

It is hard to go wrong with HP's Procurve switches.

http://www.procurve.com/

Highly reliable. Highly configurable. Good management interface. Excellent warranty. Good support.

The big question is whether the cost fits in your budget. They are somewhat more pricey than the Linksys and DLink offerings.

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!