Please help! Windows shows only background on startup with no icons.

Thread: Please help! Windows shows only background on startup with no icons.

Please help! Windows shows only background on startup with no icons.

I tried everything to see what is wrong.

1. Cannot even go to "safe mode".
    2. tried typing "explorer.exe" on new task but it says "cannot be located.
    3. tried new task, typed regedit, clicked ok and went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\Image File Execution Options\
    but explorer.exe is not located their.

So, I have run out of options. The problem started when I deleted my license key for kaspersky internet security 7.0 because got black listed. After that, it stop protecting my computer form viruses, spyware, etc. So when i shut down my PC after that it gave me the blank background screen with no icons, nothing.

Please help me with what I should do!

Why do people still pay for virus protection (AVG is still free).

OK - what happens when you try to boot into safe mode (you know, the whole F8 routine until the options appear, select safe mode).

Do you have a start button on your desktop? If not, how about the Windows key on your keyboard (if you have one).

You might need to do a repair on windows (the second repair, not the first).
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

Might have been an infection, however for good measure you may want to run a checkdisk and make sure there aren't any bad sectors that are causing windows to not find files or you'll be in the same boat a while later after reparing windows.

By the way if you're not wanting to pay for anti-virus get something free. Something is better than nothing/outdated virus scan. I suggest 3 things things, Anti Virus:Avast I would havs said bitdefender but their free is annoying now and sorry Draggar but AVG for me has been lacking lately, Anti spyware/malware: Malwarebytes I suggest running this once a week no later than once a month AND UPDATE IT, Optionally also a firewall: Online Armor Free I say optionaly since many tend to not like having a firewall interrupt their running of programs and are intimidated by such software if it's not to your liking uninstall it or don't use it at all.

Final note, if you buy a virus scan the most effective well rounded and speed efficient virus scanner I suggest is NOD32 found at www.eset.com . However it's useless if you don't keep the account active because once the updates stop for any antivirus it's practically like not having one. Avoid Norton and McAfee and do not use Clam or Panda antivirus at all, unless you don't care about the quality of the scanner you want to use. Furthermore only use 1 antivirus in your computer. I have heard the arguement that people have successfully installed 2 or more at once which isn't the issues. The issue is that they counteract each other. A virus scan is designed to take control of windows, when you have more than one they disable each others main controllers or inhibit each other so much that the computer suffers performance and security wise.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; September 9th, 2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Additional input
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Well, what I can do is go to new task and run "firefox" and it goes to the internet as usual but I still cannot see any icons on the background. So, does any one know what seems to be the problem since it is not a malware, virus.

For the desktop icons (you never mentioned Task Bar not showing but hey!) click on line 195 RIGHT side and open it - it is a vb script that will restore the desktop icons and taskbar.

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

For the explorer.exe, it should be in the C:\Windows directory - if it isn't, you should have a copy in the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder; copy that to C:\Windows.

If you're able to get to Windows, and are able to use the Task Manager, you can manually load explorer.exe to see if it works.

Just run new task with the Task Manager, and type in explorer.exe

Should run the desktop viewer thing, and it should show you the icons and stuff. It's not a permanent fix, because you'll have to do it every time, but it should get you to the desktop.

I seem to have a similar problem to tomcruise, all my icons have gone south. I tried CCT suggestion but no luck. The task bar and start button are there but no icons. I've looked in the desktop folder and all the icons are there. I tried creating a new user account and then copying my original User Profile to the new account but that didn't work either. Anybody got any Ideas?

Surfer, RIGHT click on your desktop, left click 'arrange icons by', and make sure 'show desktop icons' is checked.

Boy do I feel dumb. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself Thanks CCT I appreciate the help.