Dell Latitude D620 Bios Problem

Thread: Dell Latitude D620 Bios Problem

Dell Latitude D620 Bios Problem

Have a clients laptop with a bootup problem. Theree is a possiblity the hard drive could be bad. I thought I would do a diagnostic on the drive. I went to the bios to make sure it would boot to CD. I found the hard drive would boot before CD so I went to change the boot order and I was advised I need to put in a password under Security/Setup Changes to make changes. I called the client for a password and was advised thisa was done quite a whils back and he does not remember the password. I thought I would remove the CMOS battery in hopes everything would be reset.

My question is, where is the CMOS battery located and how do I get to it? I have removed the keyboard thinking it was under it. Found the memory andfans bou no battery. Tried a google search without much luck. More like I have a handfull of problems coming up since there is a lot of articles concerning the removal of this password without success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

When you power on the laptop near the beginning you should see "Hit F12 for boot sequence" (or something like that) and you should be able to select the boot device.

Select the CD-ROM drive and then "hit any key" when it asks you to.

To answer your question the CMOS battery is usually accessible from underneath the keyboard - you don't need to remove it, just unplug it from the motherboard.
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1111212

One must be wise of the ways of Dell

On a side note, if you can prove ownership, dell can give you a "default" bios password based on your serial. Just call them up.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom View Post
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1111212

One must be wise of the ways of Dell

On a side note, if you can prove ownership, dell can give you a "default" bios password based on your serial. Just call them up.
    Thank you Matridom, did the trick for finding it. I unplugged the battery and will let it set for the night and see if this works. Otherwise I will call Dell to see if I can get assistance on the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Draggar View Post
    When you power on the laptop near the beginning you should see "Hit F12 for boot sequence" (or something like that) and you should be able to select the boot device.

Select the CD-ROM drive and then "hit any key" when it asks you to.

To answer your question the CMOS battery is usually accessible from underneath the keyboard - you don't need to remove it, just unplug it from the motherboard.
    Thanks Draggar for the tip, I did know about the Select boot device. I just wanted to get the BIOS problem resolved so I can make some neccessary changes in the BIOS.

I believe that if you hit the F12 key and the CDROM is not specifically listed, it will ask for the password anyway.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Well after letting it set last night, time and date are messed up and it still has the password for the bios and bootup. Was able to start the cdrom to test the drive any way. Back to the drawing board, will have to see what Dell says I need to jump through what hoops to get this removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
    Well after letting it set last night, time and date are messed up and it still has the password for the bios and bootup. Was able to start the cdrom to test the drive any way. Back to the drawing board, will have to see what Dell says I need to jump through what hoops to get this removed.
    It's an internal tool that is used, it's web based and takes like 5 seconds to process the info, it takes longer to get the right serial string (yes it's case sensitive). Most techs won't have direct access, but their tier 2 guys should, so expect some delays in regards to that. They will put you on hold, get the tier2 guy to create the password then give it to you.

What I should make clear, once you have this bios password, it will *always* work, regardless of the existing password.

When reseting the bios password, you will need to make sure that you can confirm all information of the owner and they may require the owner to get on the phone to confirm these details, a 3 way call will be a good solution.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Sergeant WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician View Post
    Be carefull, I was going to test their solution for a Bios master password generator found here http://www.tech-faq.com/dell-bios-password.shtml

Turned out the exe was a virus.......

To be safe, I would recommend calling Dell regardless
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans