Why I sigh... - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I sigh...

Latest zinger;

In April of 2008 I built a few quad core computers to a customers' specs for machines that will operate 24 / 7, 365, with literally no rest. I pick out the components, build the machines, test them out and pronounce them worthy. It works fine for 3 years, and just yesterday they call me and tell me I foisted a lemon off on them as one failed. After 3 %$#@! years of non-stop use with the same cheap surge. Sigh.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Latest zinger;

In April of 2008 I built a few quad core computers to a customers' specs for machines that will operate 24 / 7, 365, with literally no rest. I pick out the components, build the machines, test them out and pronounce them worthy. It works fine for 3 years, and just yesterday they call me and tell me I foisted a lemon off on them as one failed. After 3 %$#@! years of non-stop use with the same cheap surge. Sigh.
    Don't you love customers. Since I have a full time job in IT I gave building machines for sale and only do for myself and close family and friends. Of course the money is not as good that way but I figure I will be their line of computer questions and support anyway so I may as well get them a high(er) quality computer to minimize the issues hardware wise anyway. But many of the machines I built for customers back in the day resulted in too many headaches and I deemed it not worth it. Basically when I got slapped with a lawsuit for building some kid a gaming machine because it did not play his game at the frame rate he desired I stopped doing it. The lawsuit got thrown out thank goodness but still. I had to spend time researching the performance of that game and found that it performed within spec for the CPU and GPU power that computer had at the time. What a pain.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Don't you hate users who think that PCs have the same warranties as cars.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Don't you hate users who think that PCs have the same warranties as cars.

I re-imaged from scratch a P4 a while ago, and the very next day the owner's mom called me raising Cain that "it has a %$#@! virus and it was just fixed!!! I calmly told them that when it left my shop, it was virus free, malware free, etc. She got huffy and said " Well, my boy had it up in his room only a few hours and he came down complaining that it had a virus already". I explained to her that unlike an automobile, the computer can be infected seconds after it was cleaned. When an auto gets a part replaced, and it is good to go for a few thousand more miles. I would surmise that your son went to the very same sites that caused the original infection, and we know that your anti-virus cannot prevent that virus.

She cursed a bit, questioned my virtue, and hung up. Her kid called the next day, wanting a "free" fix since it was only 1 day. I declined, and they brought it to me anyway. I suggested a better a/v, and they couldn't agree fast enough. I also suggested junior pay for his music and movies instead of risking jail time and crushing fines. He wasn't as enthusiastic about that.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

That's ok I have a user who called me last week, she just expects me to replace a motherboard that was sold clearly used and I always inform them that after 3 months I will not support it. The board was sold to her 2 thanksgivings ago. Not to mention she's a bit of a drive and I'm not doing computer service further than the town i live in since I have a day job that eats all of my time now. I out of feeling bad for her am replacing it but I also pointed out this is my final visit due to my constraints on time. To be honest I hate when people pull this stunt on me, it's always a little old woman who's too nice for me to say "tough luck you know the rules" to.
    One Script to find them.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Guy calls me, says his computer is running slow, how much to fix, etc. he tells me to come over. It takes 7 minutes to boot to the desktop. I need to take it with me, I tell him. I slave the drive, remove a ton of crap, put it back in, Combo fix, Malwarebytes, etc, updates, remove every tool, search bar possible. Remove a rootkit, you name it, he owns it.

Bring it back, explain where he is going on the net, he might want to rethink. I went through the cookies. He tells me he only goes to msn, yahoo, etc. Ok, whatever, just cut me a check, I'm out.

Six months later, he calls, and says I must have missed something, because his computer is running slow. What kind of business am I running, where I don't deliver on my promise.....He threatened to sue me unless I came over and cleaned his computer for free.

I told him that when his computer was in my shop the first time, I copied his drive, and it was stored on my server, which it is, and that every infection, cookie, everything was as it was. If he wanted to sue me, go for it. But be prepared, as I will counter-sue.

He called back 4 days later, says come over and pick up his computer, he will pay again to have me fix it. And he did.

I now have a customer for life.......
    Sergeant WOTPP

I prefer new customers. They at least have interesting new lies, and once one offered me a beverage!

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician View Post
    Guy calls me, says his computer is running slow, how much to fix, etc. he tells me to come over. It takes 7 minutes to boot to the desktop. I need to take it with me, I tell him. I slave the drive, remove a ton of crap, put it back in, Combo fix, Malwarebytes, etc, updates, remove every tool, search bar possible. Remove a rootkit, you name it, he owns it.

Bring it back, explain where he is going on the net, he might want to rethink. I went through the cookies. He tells me he only goes to msn, yahoo, etc. Ok, whatever, just cut me a check, I'm out.

Six months later, he calls, and says I must have missed something, because his computer is running slow. What kind of business am I running, where I don't deliver on my promise.....He threatened to sue me unless I came over and cleaned his computer for free.

I told him that when his computer was in my shop the first time, I copied his drive, and it was stored on my server, which it is, and that every infection, cookie, everything was as it was. If he wanted to sue me, go for it. But be prepared, as I will counter-sue.

He called back 4 days later, says come over and pick up his computer, he will pay again to have me fix it. And he did.

I now have a customer for life.......
    I've had similar tales, some people just need a snapping at to respect you.
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    I prefer new customers. They at least have interesting new lies, and once one offered me a beverage!
    LOL yeah those are great, the one I remember most is the lady who made me dinner then had me do shots of tequila with her as we waited for her system to be cleaned of infections on site.
    One Script to find them.

A few years, I got in a bit of a tiff with a customer who was angry because I hadn't backed up his email before I reformatted the drive and reloaded Windows. He wanted a refund, and sent me his demand in a registered letter, so I called him and suggested he come talk to me before he spent any money on legal fees. I showed him the disclaimer he signed explicitly declining backup services, with his own little note at the bottom: "I back up my data! Do you think I'm [deleted] STUPID!!"

Fast forward a year or so, and he's once again mad at me. This time it's because he's brought the computer in for service and has found his service disclaimer and request for a refund framed and hanging on the wall. well, I lost that job, but those two bits of paper have repaid me about 100 times over.

I'd venture to say that 98% of my customers go out of their way to be kind, curteous, and fair. It's that last two percent that get so annoying.

Absolutely! Aren't the Hell's Angels proud of being 2 percenters?

Somewhat off topic, but at one time I used to do some forensic work for the local PD and some attorneys (before changes to Texas law made this mostly undesirable and difficult) and I've done it in several divorce cases.

Funniest divorce case I was involved in was when I was hired to crack a Quickbooks password. It turned out that the female partner in the marriage was quite the entrepreneur. She had a very profitable web site that was well stocked with photos, videos, panties for sale, etc. Personalized service was also available.

Usually, cases like this just require a deposition, but in this case I had to appear in court. I'll never forget the husband testifying that he had become suspicious when his wife installed Quickbooks and password protected it, but he didn't become convinced that something was up until she quit asking him for money to buy cigarettes.

Changes in behavior patterns are the first indication of something "fishy". Most of the patients I encountered during my 20 years as a mental health aide for the state could not figure out how I always seemed to anticipate their hijinks. People are creatures of habit, and those behavior patterns are big indicators of unusual behavior, which is why I try to be erratic in my habits. That, and a strong impulsive streak combined a short attention span.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Latest gem; A customer asked me to build her a new computer, but use as many parts from the old one as possible to save cash. No problem, sayest I, and with swift and sure actions, I complete the computer, load Windows 7, and the free version of Avast anti-virus, as she is pinching pennies.

I test it overnight, it works like a champ. I get a call 2 days later, computer won't boot. No idea why, picture of innocence they portray, it just stopped. I pick it up, and find that in addition to the free Avast I loaded, they had loaded Avast premium which they paid $$$ for, Norton 360 that they went to Best buy and bought, ARO 2011 ( Advanced Registry Optimization ) that they chickened out halfway though installation and borked it up, and Symantec Corporate edition. They are "unsure" how all of this loaded itself. But they admit to buying the Norton 360, and wondered why it wouldn't fix everything. Sigh.