Are SP3 and system restor compatible? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are SP3 and system restor compatible?

ie6 was loaded when I installed SP2. It worked fine and I tested system restore it worked fine as well.

The problem appears to begin upon downloading and installing SP3 updates from Micrsoft. SP3 becomes uninstallable and system restore stops working.

In my understanding, I hope I am not wrong, rstrui.exe is the system restore utility. Is there a way to verify whether this utility is not altered by installing SP3 updates?

The epilepsy issue of ie8 (I am not in love with ie8!) seems incurable, just like brain epilepsi. Yesterday I was lucky when I could log in to windrivers whithout having iexplorer freezing on me. This did not happen today, so far I would say.

What you could try is to install SP2 with IE6 ONLY, then disable system restore, reboot and run the sp3 installer.

I don't use IE8 because it's slow as heck, I've restored it, repaired it, and i've removed ALL add-ons. It's just a shoddy piece of work. It's on all 4 of my computers ranging from XP, Vista 64, Win7 32 and 64 bit. I only use IE8 if I have to use it to visit a website that has browser specific requirements. Outside of that Opera is my main browser. However if it's using more than 10% of resources that sounds more serious than just a crap distribution. By the way has anyone considered that votan may have some sort of spyware/malware that is active? You may need to do a full scale cleanup with malwarebytes and an antivirus program. I'd suggest esets online virus scanner to check for the infaction if you've already used a scanner. Also you may want to download hijackthis and post the report on here for us to look over.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    I don't use IE8 because it's slow as heck, I've restored it, repaired it, and i've removed ALL add-ons. It's just a shoddy piece of work. It's on all 4 of my computers ranging from XP, Vista 64, Win7 32 and 64 bit. I only use IE8 if I have to use it to visit a website that has browser specific requirements. Outside of that Opera is my main browser. However if it's using more than 10% of resources that sounds more serious than just a crap distribution. By the way has anyone considered that votan may have some sort of spyware/malware that is active? You may need to do a full scale cleanup with malwarebytes and an antivirus program. I'd suggest esets online virus scanner to check for the infaction if you've already used a scanner. Also you may want to download hijackthis and post the report on here for us to look over.
    It seems Votan is not reading all posts. Get your Tylenol bottle and Write zero`s to your harddrive and then reinstall windoze. Then becareful what you install, Do you have software on your flash drive? It may be the infection you do not want.
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

Suddenly the system restore is working as of today. I could not figure out why. However, I curiously checked the running processes in task manager. I haven't noticed this before. iexplorer.exe runs in two copies! if I delete one, it is recreated again instantly. If I delete the second, at times the browser is shut down all togeter, at other times it shuts down taking with it explorer.exe hostage. I have to reboot!

Is it normal ie runs in two copies?

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357 View Post
    It seems Votan is not reading all posts. Get your Tylenol bottle and Write zero`s to your harddrive and then reinstall windoze. Then becareful what you install, Do you have software on your flash drive? It may be the infection you do not want.
    I do read all messages. I get notice be email that a message is waiting for me.

I have backup of files on my flash drives, not applications.