Bad bios

Thread: Bad bios

Bad bios

I was rebuilding a win XPpro on a Gateway quad core system(full partition delete and rebuild)
    all was well, I tried to update all my chipsets and bios for the mother board.
    I think I got a bad/wrong set for my PC.
    Now my hard drives will not show in the bios/ or load windows.
    I have a Gateway PC and I have read (to late of course) that they change the bios and chipsets and that is probibly my problem....!
    How can I get the right chip set and bios back in place if I dont have an operating system, or hard drives, or cant even get to a work point to update any thing.
    Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogee69 View Post
    I was rebuilding a win XPpro on a Gateway quad core system(full partition delete and rebuild)
    all was well, I tried to update all my chipsets and bios for the mother board.
    I think I got a bad/wrong set for my PC.
    Now my hard drives will not show in the bios/ or load windows.
    I have a Gateway PC and I have read (to late of course) that they change the bios and chipsets and that is probibly my problem....!
    How can I get the right chip set and bios back in place if I dont have an operating system, or hard drives, or cant even get to a work point to update any thing.
    Please help.
    I suspect you killed your board accidentally of course. Your only alternative
    is to try to RMA or buy new board.
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

Since you indicate you CAN get into Bios ('Now my hard drives will not show in the bios');

First, get ALL the data you can from your present Bios chip and write it down (see Step 9 here; http://support.gateway.com/s/tutorials/Tu_949670.shtml and read this; http://www.badflash.com/biosdownload.html )

Let's start off simple - does your Gateway have a floppy disk drive?

If so, you need to create a bootable floppy with the correct Bios flash program and Bios data (this would be from the Gateway site for your specific make and model and recognizing the hardware you are going to use, most importantly the CPU.

You then set Boot priority to (as it should always be) floppy, cd, hard drive.

Then insert the floppy, shut down, and restart and follow directions to Flash the Bios.

Failing that, order a replacement chip from an on-line Bios chip seller.

Some good points raised here; http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/7...-problems.html