BSOD - Attempt to Repair Install - Partition Issues
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BSOD - Attempt to Repair Install - Partition Issues

BSOD - Attempt to Repair Install - Partition Issues

Greetings -

HISTORY:
    The laptop is an Acer Aspire 3680. The following now becomes relevant, with relation to partitions. Originally, the laptop had Windows Vista pre-installed (in a beta version). Since many programs would not work with Vista, I wanted to uninstall. With an OEM XP Pro Install CD (SP2), and the help of a Microsoft technician (by phone), Windows Vista was uninstalled, and XP Pro was installed, including partitions. )

Recently, the laptop was in extended use (possible overheating) and it had been having RAM issues. The laptop "blue screened", with this BSOD message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000,0x00000002,0x00000001,0x804F9B94)
    Cannot go into the Recovery Console.

STEPS CHECKED:
    1) MEMORY: I did a test on the memory sticks (with memtest86+ on a CD image) - both sticks are good, with no signs of any wear or heat corruption.
    2) ATTEMPT TO DO A REPAIR INSTALL: When I load the XP Install CD, the very first page that comes up (after "Press any key..." and drivers/devices load) is the Partition Page. As you can see, only 16,496 MB for the C Drive were allocated.:

C: Partition1 (NTFS) 16,496 MB (989 MB free)
    D: Partition2 (unknown) 59,820 MB (59,820 MB free)

Since there is not enough space on the C Drive (989 MB free) to install Windows, all that can be done is to delete drives or exit (which reboots the system). There is no prompt available.

QUESTIONS:
    1) Could lack of free space shut down the machine?
    2) Could RAM issues be related to the lack of space?
    3) Could this Partition issue cause the XP Install CD to only go to this page?
    4) Is there a free Partition Manager program that would merge the 2 drives and avoid a clean install? (executable from a CD-RW - accessing partition area without booting into Windows.)
    5) I have ordered a 16 GB flash drive to retrieve data from the laptop. Is there a free data retrieval/recovery software, (executable) which could boot from a CD and transfer data to the flash drive? If you have it, I could really use an actual download page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

"1) MEMORY: I did a test on the memory sticks (with memtest86+ on a CD image) - both sticks are good, with no signs of any wear or heat corruption" Did you try running with just one stick? If that failed tried the other?

"2) ATTEMPT TO DO A REPAIR INSTALL: When I load the XP Install CD, the very first page that comes up (after "Press any key..." and drivers/devices load) is the Partition Page. As you can see, only 16,496 MB for the C Drive were allocated." It looks like you have lost your MBR completely.

Do you have anything on that drive you don't want to lose?

Thanks for your reply.

1) I did not try to run with only 1 stick and then the other - I will do that.
    2) Yes, there are files that need to be saved. As soon as I have the USB drive, I will transfer files. At that point, I will have to make a decision whether to format and partition the unallocated space (in D Drive) and attempt to transfer files from the C Drive, possibly merge the two drives or do a clean install. What would you suggest?

Thank you for your help.

Unless you are truly proficent with your computer and its' operating system, I'd suggest you get a shop to slave the laptop drive, get everything off it to CD for you, then wipe it and reinstall your OS from your disk.

My opinion.

I'd agree that your BSOD has the earmarks of a Windows issue more than a memory problem. Also agree that it would be best to copy your data and start with a clean copy of Windows; at which time you can repartition the drive.

Thanks for all the information.

I know it looks like there's a lot on my plate. But since I live in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness (with no technician), I'm just going to give it my best shot. I will remove all data first and put it on the flash drive. If all else fails, then I can just do a clean install. I still have all the drivers from the first time I did it and I kept a written step-by-step summary of the process, as well.

With regard to data retrieval, I found this program called PuppyLinux, which will install on a CD, and recognize/transfer data to a USB Drive from an unbootable system. If you know of a better one, please let know. I'll post later.

Thanks again.

Well, I think that's a good approach.

Another would be to get a second hard drive, remove the old, reinstall the OS on the second drive as a Clean Install, then hook up and use the old as a data drive and, get your data.

HISTORY:
    The laptop is an Acer Aspire 3680. The following now becomes relevant, with relation to partitions. Originally, the laptop had Windows Vista pre-installed (in a beta version).

I would like to know what this " Vista Beta Version" is?
    That laptop came with Vista Basic on it.
    When you and this MS technician put XP on it what "exactly" did you do?
    Did you remove all of the partitions from the harddrive?
    Or is that D drive thats saying Unknown system original?
    Cause that looks to be the original Acer partition which contains the restore information.
    Or it may be another corrupted partition. Indicating the harddrive is failing.
    I would test the harddrive before i ever went to putting windows back on it.
    Use whatever you can to copy off the nessecary files then test the harddrive before anything else.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Thank you for your information.

When the Acer arrived two years ago as a "Vista Home Basic", it was a nightmare. None of the programs my son had on the XP would function with Vista: Gamemaker, Anvil Studio, most of his games. Even setup for networking (which I had done on two other XPs) was so complicated (for me) that I decided to switch back. I call it beta because it was obvious that there were compatibility issues which had not been worked out. I apologize if incorrectly stated.

My intention is to retrieve all data. Then, to use Avira to check for any viruses in MBR, boot sectors and partitions.

What are your suggestions for checking the hard drive?

Thanks for your help.

Well usually its either a toshiba or a hitachi harddrive in those laptops.
    So I would likely use hitachi fitness tester avaliable here in a bootable cdrom image.
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/suppor...2_v416_b00.iso.
    Make a cdrom and boot the laptop to it and it should be fairly straightforward from there.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

To: Ferrit - Thank you for the tester - I'll post when I have an answer.

To: CCT - Thank you for the suggestion regarding a second hard drive. Finding one might be a bit of a problem. I will do all the tests and then see where I stand.

Greetings -

Some news regarding my laptop. I did the following:

1) Ran Avira Anti-virus on a rescue disc - found 3 viruses:
    -- (2 seem to be low potential threat - Delphi.Gen, TR/Patched.Gen1)
    --This one appears to be dangerous: TR/Vundo.Gen (says TR/Vundo.Gen is complicated to clean, reinstalls its files under Computer reboot, Loss of registry keys, dll's and system files information causing regular "Blue Screen" error)

Says: "not removable" - How can I get rid of this? Could this be my problem?

2) Checked the HDD with Hitachi - Advanced Tests Results:
    ATA WDC Serial #07A23545 Cache 8192 KB 80 GB Capacity
    WDCWD800BEUS - 22RST0
    Operation Completed Successfully
    Disposition Code = 0x00

Also, now there is a new BSOD message:

"Check for viruses. Remove any newly installed hard drive. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption. Restart Computer.
    Technical Information:
    Stop: 0x0000007B (OXBACCF528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

The system starts to boot, begins to list devices, goes to the BSOD (just for a second), then reboots and starts the process all over again.

...and the Recovery Console now works.

I checked in the Recovery Console dir to see if the Vundo.Gen is listed - it's not.

Any help would really be appreciated.

You can do a chkdsk /f from recovery console.

It sounds like removal of the viruses also removed something usefull for boot (this often happens).

You may need to recover the registry.

2 links;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxprcons.html

edit, actually, 3 links; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
    Last edited by CCT; December 31st, 2009 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks for the articles and information.

Come to find out, the Recovery Console will not do CHKDSK /f or /r. Additionally, the Avira recognized the Vundo.gen virus files, but it will not remove or rename them. So I am still looking for a Vundo remover. Additionally, I am looking for a live cd that will allow me access to the NTFS volumes. Through the Recovery Console, there is a way to access the System Restore (I've done the 3 steps, 1 to go), and I need a number from the volumes to open the restore directory.

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

deborahdeen, since you are posting would it be correct to say you have access to another PC?

Is it a desktop?

Can you slave the laptop drive into it?