CDs burn with no errors, but then finalized cd is blank
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDs burn with no errors, but then finalized cd is blank

CDs burn with no errors, but then finalized cd is blank

I am running Vista on my laptop. I haven't burned cd's in a while, and never used to have problems with it. When I recently tried to burn a CD, the entire burn/finalizing process completed without any error messages, but when I reinserted it into my computer, the CD was blank. I have tried various CD brands and tried WMP 11, Zune player, and Express Burn as my burners. I can still watch DVD's and play cd's, just not burn cd's. The TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632D ATA device is on my laptop, and all of its drivers are all up to date. Any help on what else to try? Thanks!

Can you drag and drop to a RW disk?

When I do that, it tells me that I "currently have files waiting to be written to the disc". I then select "burn files" and it takes me to WMP and says it burns successfully then there is nothing on the disc

You should be able to cancel that burn - according to a person here ( http://club.myce.com/f59/you-have-fi...ten-cd-148459/ );

"click on the message, and in the windows that opens, on the top left (it is a My Computer - type - window), press Delete Temporary Files. That should stop the message until you send more files to the removable storage"

Well, I haven't had a problem getting all the files I want there. They just don't show up on the CD after I burn it.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

Smile

Try to burn with CdBurnerXP see if it will do a disk.It is free no loss there.

http://cdburnerxp.se/download.php
    Last edited by street1; January 10th, 2010 at 02:31 AM.
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

Thanks for the try, but it didn't work either =[ it still says that the burn was successful but then there is still nothing on the disc

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Probably not the cure but........

Try windows fixit from microsoft. Scroll down the page to FixIT

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

Yea, I can access the CD/DVD drive. I can play CD's and DVD's with no problem. It's just burning them that I can't do. I saw on another page something about the laser writer might be bad and causing the problem. Does anyone know anything about that? I can work a computer, but I know nothing about what's inside! lol

Bad drive is certainly the leading candidate for your problem. The laser that burns disks is a separate unit from the read laser. Unfortunately, other than the laser's inability to burn a disk, there isn't a simple test. Since earlier posts and the suggested fixes have pretty much eliminated software issues, that just leaves the drive. The good news is that you can get a new DVD burner around $19-$29.

The reason I suggested drag and drop (cut/paste) is that you need to format a disk for that - it's why I suggested a RW disk be used (doesn't get wasted).

This would double check the burning laser.

@slgrieb - Thanks for the help! Looks like I'll just have to replace it.

@CCT - Thanks for clarifying, and yea, I never mentioned it before bc I didn't think much of it, but it hasn't been letting me format disks either. Since you say that is tied with the burning laser too, that must be my problem.

So, where would be the best place to get a new burner for a laptop? Do I need to look for the same model that I have now or are most of them compatible with various laptops? I am trying to find a computer shop in my area, but haven't had any luck yet.

I am not well versed in the buying of replacement cd/dvd drives for laptops (and hopefully never will need to be) but you get LOTS of good info with a Google for 'buy laptop cd dvd drive'.

There are people here in the business of repairing - possibly one will add some advice.

Ah, laptop! Yeah, guess it does say that in the original post. Wow! If my ego weren't massive and bullet proof, I'd be embarrassed.

Actually, dancebabe295, I still think you can get a replacement drive around $25-$29, but you probably shouldn't try to put a desktop unit in the machine. Unless you really like adventure.

Your best bet on finding a drive is likely to be a vendor on Ebay. The reviews are really a pretty good indicator of reliability. As laptop prices have dropped, a lot of former parts vendors have dropped out of the market.

Thanks slgrieb. I'm on ebay almost every day anyway so, that's where I started looking this morning =) and I found one straight out of another laptop just like mine. So I'm gonna wait for it to get to me then I'll install it and make sure it works. Thanks for the help!