Bring Back the XP Camera/Scanner Wizard

Thread: Bring Back the XP Camera/Scanner Wizard

Bring Back the XP Camera/Scanner Wizard

Been using Windows 7 for a few weeks now, and I'm really liking it but I've lost most of the control I grew to love with the XP wizard. I was able to pick which photos I want from the camera, select a folder where to save them and give the photos a name and if there were already files in that folder, XP would automatically adjust the ending digits to compensate.

This new Windows 7 wizard wants to take All photos from the camera(no option to select a few)add a tag and then put them where it thinks I likely want them. I know I can goto the camera in the My Computer windows and get and move them manually but this isn't that intuitive and renaming them is a pain. Anything I can do to regain the control I had of the old XP wizard?

Windows vista/7 tries to consolidate the user data into pre-defined areas. To me, this is the better model as all personal data is in 1 location, not spread all over the C drive. as for copying specific photo's, I do that in Windows Explorer and not use the import wizard.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I agree with you, if it was just one computer and a few users. My situation is different. My home has five adults each with computers that save photos to a mapped network drive on a "server" located in a cupboard. We've all managed to organize and keep a fairly straight forward file and folder structure, having Windows 7 do all the photo management it would quickly become confusing for others trying to find something. A few laptops have Non-Windows OSes on them as well.

I did discover that the Live Photo Gallery Import that installs with Windows Live Essentials offers more control over photo import from cameras. Still not quite as straight forward as the old XP import but much more control than the basic Win7 import.