Packard Bell EasyNote MB85 Screen problem

Thread: Packard Bell EasyNote MB85 Screen problem

Packard Bell EasyNote MB85 Screen problem

I have a problem where windows loads up and just before it gets to the logon screen I just get loads of pink and green dots and lines on the screen and cannot get into windows.

When ythe system boots the screen works fine I can see boot logo and everything else it just goes funny just before it it supposed to show the logon screen,

I did manage to get into safe mode and it was working snd checked my drivers and everything which all seemed fine. I can no longer get into safe moode it just gives me a blank screen.

I have used my recovery disk and restored the system to manufacturer state, The restore process went fine and then when I restarted to get into windows I got the same issue.

Anyone know what is going on here?

If there was something wrong with my screen surely it would not display anything at all.

I have also reinstalled windows Vista and still have the same issue

Any ideas on this guys?

Thanks

Noting that it has nVidia 8600 video, I'd wonder if it's got the chip overheating problem a lot of laptops were recalled or had warranty extended for. That might only show up when the video mode changes when the Windows driver loads up. Can you try a Linux Live CD or DVD to see if the Linux GUI has a similar problem?

In Safe Mode (now you can boot there again), uninstall the nVidia video drivers.

The problem is I cannot get into safe mode as the windows installation is not fully complete because i can not get into windows normally.

Is there any other fix available for this or is the GPU replaceable in this laptop?

Collio, I'd try Platypus' advice. There isn't anyone on the forum that has more expertise in laptops. I'd have to say you're probably looking at a bad motherboard, and most of the time I'd choose to replace the computer rather than the board.

"I have used my recovery disk and restored the system to manufacturer state, The restore process went fine and then when I restarted to get into windows I got the same issue."

I took this to mean you were at square 1 with Safe Mode available.

Communications is IMPORTANT!

It does look grim!

If you have an Install CD and insert it and boot and when it boots you have no graphical interface, then the video chip is probably SHOT!

Have you air blasted the vents? (gently, mind you)

I did clean the vents out and still no luck

On ther off-chance that it is an internal cabling problem, does your manual say you can connect an external monitor?

Try that if you can.

I did not check the manual but it does have a DVI and HDMI port on it.

I did connect a monitor via the DVI port but nothing displayed on the monitor I only got a display on the laptop.

Collio, afaik most laptops have either/or re display, ie, either internal (laptop) OR external BUT not both. Usually there's a switch or keypress you use.

That's why you need to read the manual.

I'd try downloading a Linux Live CD distro(Ubuntu) and see if you can boot from the cd to its xserver GUI with that. Having a completely different driver set might help verify that the motherboard is truly going out versus a windows driver issue.

Some other things to try. Reset the BIOS to factory defaults then only altering boot order settings if needed. See what happens on boot.

While a long shot, I've removed the battery and unplugged the power cord for laptops and pressed and help the power button in for half a minute. I've seen this on some makes and models this clears the electronic circuts and onboard devices.