Microprocessor speeds

Thread: Microprocessor speeds

Question Microprocessor speeds

I haven't kept track of processor speed improvements over the years. I suppose I haven't even bothered shopping for a new CPU simply as I'd have to figure out the CPU speeds.

So, does anyone know of a chart that shows processor percentage speed improvements, possibly by date, both Intel and AMD and any other important markers?

The computer I'm comparing from is probably 2003, Intel Celeron 1.8GHz (possibly 845 chipset - unsure what kind of Celeron chip that makes it?) and I want to see where chips have gone from this over the years. What percentage speed increases over the years.

Is it as simple as looking at the GHz, or is there a lot more to comparing them than there used to be.

Thanks
    Last edited by optimizer; January 25th, 2010 at 01:42 AM.

The simple relationship of clock speed has been rather changed by enhancements in operating efficiency (more instructions effectively executed per clock cycle), memory bandwidth, cache size and multiple cores.

I'm not sure about a handy chart comparing performance over a long period of time. There's a comparison of current CPUs here:

http://gamingcomputers.net.au/?p=37

and it's interesting in using the PCMark05 benchmark, which is old enough that some benchmarks of Celerons pop up on Google to suggest a system using your current 1.8GHz CPU probably scores somewhere about 1500. The 1.8GHz Intel E4300 in comparison comes up at 4639.

Simply comparing gigahertz is absolutely no way to compare them at all.
    Even to the point of your own processor compared with a straight P4 of the same era will see vast differences in speed and ability at doing tasks.
    Looking at the scores displayed at somewhere like Futuremark+3DMark
    will give you untold amounts of reading. If you dig deep you likely will find a lot of older benchmarks to compare.

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

The only "fair comparison" is running a *suite* of benchmarks. A single benchmark may produce better results on CPU#1 but poorer on CPU#2 and viceversa. An app that is being optimized for single-core CPU's may score better on a single-core CPU with a faster clock than on a quad core with a slightly slower clock, but the same app optimized for multi-core CPU may score much better on a multi-core with slower clock...
    And depending on application, a large cache may help the performance more than the clock speed...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies.
    I'd happened to notice a 1.8GHz CPU for sale at WalMart, which is what brought up the question. I thought that surely after 6 or 7 years the 1.8Ghz would be long gone from the shops, It is, but apparently the WalMart 1.8GHz must be a totally redesigned chip.

It likely wont fit in the system you have.
    You have to go primarily by the socket they fit into and what the board supports.
    If you are interested in just changing your chip then you might be able to find a decent one on eBay
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html