Ethernet controller

Thread: Ethernet controller

Hybrid View

Ethernet controller

Hello.

I'm not sure what forum this should be in, so apologies if this in the wrong place.

Whenever I start my laptop (Dell Inspiron 5160), I get a "Found New Hardware Wizard" box appear for an ethernet controller.

I don't know what an ethernet controller is, and I haven't installed anything recently.

So I click "cancel" and my computer works fine, but every time I restart it the message is there.

What should I be doing? And how do I stop the message appearing?

Any advice much appreciated.

You can either install the driver OR disable the device.

Install: go to the Dell site online, enter your Service Tag #, download the ethernet driver and follow instructions from Dell to install.

Disable: Click Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and look for the + Network Adapters entry, click the + and then right click the adapter and click the Disable entry.

Welcome to Windrivers Canary. Look for the cd that came with your laptop, the one that says driver utility. Insert this in your cdrom and follow the instructions to install the network driver. You need this driver to allow you to connect to the internet. If you have no plans to connect to the internet, then disable as CCT suggested.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Hi, and thanks for your replies.

I have both visited the Dell website and run the installation CD, but the message I get from both is that all the drivers are correctly installed.

And I am connected to the internet - I'm posting this from my laptop. Yet the Found New Hardware Wizard appeared just now, as usual!

Since you aren't using the network connection (that's all the Ethernet adapter is) that keeps wanting to install, you should be able to safely disable it. If you cancel the installation of the device, then open Device Manager you should find it listed under Network Adapters and flagged with a yellow exclamation point. You can right-click on the item, and disable it from the context menu. I'll admit to being confused about why this is happening, but I'm not sure that solving the problem is going to have a benefit worth the effort. If disabling the device stops the message, and you're not experiencing other system problems, I'd call it good.

I think the bigger question is DOES E use the network? If so why does it work if E clicks cancel? This could be a minor driver issue, as stated by others, or could be something much bigger.

Question 1) Do you use your laptop to get on the internet?
    Question 2) Assuming yes does the internet still work after you click cancel?
    Question 3) Have you looked in the device manager, as stated by others, to see if you have any yellow exclamination marks or red X's to show a device that is not working or having problems.

Start with those and then we can determine more after that.
    Murphy's Law: If it can be messed up it will get messed up.

Hello again, and sorry for the long delay in getting back to you.

I've been away for a while, and on my return I totally forgot to come back to say thanks for all your help.

I think I solved the problem (or at least brushed it under the carpet) by disabling the Ethernet Controller. In Device Manager, however, it is still listed under "Other devices" - albeit with a red X through it.

I was quite happy with this outcome, which is why I came back to say thanks. But, ShadowDragon, to answer your subsequent questions:

1) I do use the laptop to go on the internet. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now.
    2) Yes - I've cancelled the Ethernet Controller and the internet is still working fine.
    3) There is a red X next to the Ethernet Controller.

Cheers

Good to hear!

Since I am also a curious sort (after answering specific questions), do you use a dial-up (telephone) connection for your internet?

or wireless?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Hi guys.

No, I don't use dial-up. But I do use wireless.

The ethernet controller with the red x is most likely the wired ethernet connector
    Computer Rescue Service

So, in a nutshell, I now have nothing to worry about?

Correct. If you aren't using a wired connection then you can safely leave it disabled.
    Computer Rescue Service