Kicking back with Windows 7 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kicking back with Windows 7

I feel sorry though for anyone who has a botched SP1 install to fight through though. I have it with my workstation and the only work around is me using a Win7 disk with SP1 built into it to repair my windows installation. I have been too lazy to get around to downloading the correct iso for Windows 7 N 64bit so I can complete this task.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

True, but at the same time I think most SP1 installations have gone OK. I did a trial on a corporate location last week, where I had to install SP1 to resolve an error message (MS had a hotfix for the issue, but it had been rolled up in SP1 and is no longer available for download). I worried that this might cause problems with some of the oddball software the client runs, so I did the initial installation on a single computer, and it was totally painless. I approved SP1 for installation on the other 22 computers running Win7, and I didn't get a single glitch. Big sigh of relief!

It is official, Guts3d LOVES Windows 7 !!!

Just bought a Dell T7400 and plan to upgrade the heck out of it just to see if it is faster / better than the monster rig I am using right now. I might just have to buy a bigger U.P.S.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Honestly 7 has been the best ever to deploy.
    I pretty much install it and walk away .
    Customers all like it after the initial ""Oh it isn't the same"
    I have recently begun upgrading motherboards inside of windows 7.
    That''s coming along nicely other then it kicking out the activation
    for both Windows and Office
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

After working with Win7 a lot, it's really a shock to deal with Vista and XP machines; very frustrating. It just works... better. In fact, I expect that once I get over Windows 8 shock, I'll like it just fine as well. might take a while.

I just realized, I sold that original laptop some time ago and since have bought a few dozen copies of 7, all flavors and both 32 & 64 bits. If Windows 8 is anything like its older brother, I will be pretty darned pleased.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    I just realized, I sold that original laptop some time ago and since have bought a few dozen copies of 7, all flavors and both 32 & 64 bits. If Windows 8 is anything like its older brother, I will be pretty darned pleased.
    No matter how you slice it, I think getting over Interface Shock is going to be a big hurdle for lots of folks. When I was running the developer's preview, everything I ran on it used the Desktop, but there were still enough changes there to be annoying. I don't know that I'm going to have the time or energy to look at the Consumer Preview for a while. However, as usual, I read some of Ed Bott's commentary with interest.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-m...r-preview/4610

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/sorry...-displays/4620

I think windows 8 is great for a tablet - but I really think that if you have a large monitor because you do video or graphic manipulation, Windows 8 desktop will be waste of time
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I expect that Metro will continue to be a lousy experience on big monitors, but I expect the Desktop, where PC users will spend most of their time will be an OK environment. I installed the Developer preview on a spare drive and ran it as a production machine for a couple of weeks, and it worked OK, even if it was annoying.

I think Bott's point about Metro being optimized for small screens (the brave new post-PC world) is accurate. I expect MS will continue to support those of us who do real work on PCs; but we may feel more and more like stepchildren, and we almost certainly will be using Desktop.