Virtual Machine Win98SE

Thread: Virtual Machine Win98SE

Virtual Machine Win98SE

I'd really like to get a Win98SE build up in a virtual machine running over Windows 7 Pro. The problem I'm having is I'd really like to have it functional enough to run old DirectX games and connect a USB Joystick to the OS. I've tried Virtual PC, Vmware and Virtual box. I've had mixed results from all these programs and the guest OS. My biggest issues are drivers. Even though these all have additional tools I can install, some don't offer a video or audio drivers so I'm stuck as to what driver to hunt down on the internet.

If you have had good success making a DirectX game compatable Win98 Virtual Machine build, I'd love to hear how you did it and links to drivers for the emulated hardware.

Surprised you have issues with vmware, it has sound/video... I know it for a fact.
    Just install the vmware tools... don't have it installed here, but it's somewhere in the virtual machine menu (VM->install vmware tools ???)
    Last edited by CeeBee; February 25th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I did install those tools. Mouse now goes in and out of the VM window. There is still a unknown PCI Multimedia Device listed in device manager of the Win98 virtual machine and no sound. There are two other unknown devices as well.

Video seems to be installed and runs in 32bit color but has no option to switch to 16 bit color, only 16 color, 256 color or 32bit color, when I run dxdiag to do the directx test vmware will not allow me to run the directx tests. It says it will not allow the virtual machine to switch to 640x480 16 bit color.