Doubts about SATA 2.0, 3.0 and 1.0

Thread: Doubts about SATA 2.0, 3.0 and 1.0

Question Doubts about SATA 2.0, 3.0 and 1.0

I see myself in the need to buy a new hard disk and all the disk around the market here are SATA 3.0, somewhere I've read there wasn't a problem connecting disks sata 2.0 to mothers 1.0 or 3.0 to 2.0 for that case but didn't know about 3.0 vs 1.0; today called one of the vendors and asked him if there was any problem connecting one of these disk to an old mother, he said it was possible but not advisable as the mother was going to kill the disk very soon..

Is that true?

A new SATA drive will work fine with an older mainboard, but you won't get the maximum performance that the drive could deliver on a newer board with full support for newer SATA specs. But, that won't damage the drive at all.

Phew...! Thanks slgrieb, that is what i thought, but better be sure before calling the vendor back to advice him what to do with their disks!!

Now completely off topic, I think i need some kind of prize... 3 posts in 6 years? :P

Quote Originally Posted by quato is alive View Post
    3 posts in 6 years? :P
    At least we know you're alive!

There are Sata 3 hard drives available?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    There are Sata 3 hard drives available?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...TA%206.0Gb%2fs
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Wait... those are SATA 3? I thought they were SATA II 6.0 ... this is getting to complicated for simple minds like mine... there are days I miss my old x286 with that lovely ESDI hard disk of 10 Mb... talking of new disks and old motherboards

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    At least we know you're alive!
    Not a concern back in 2004 but nowadays ....

But for sure my amount of posts doesn't reflect the use I've done of these forums
    Last edited by quato is alive; April 16th, 2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typos faire + broken english

Damn, now I want to buy a new drive...
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Damn, now I want to buy a new drive...
    In the case you are using a P4V8X-X Assus mother, DON'T do it!! :P

Bought a 500 Gig disk, Samsung HD502IJ to be exact and there is no way my mother will recognize it, reading the manual it mentions that some old mothers could have problems to communicate with these disks so samsung provide with a soft to make the disk work at 1.5 gigasomething... , I'm yet to find this soft and still wonder how it will work due to the fact the BIOS doesn't see the disk at all.. :/

In the case you are using a P4V8X-X Assus mother, DON'T do it!! :P

Bought a 500 Gig disk, Samsung HD502IJ to be exact and there is no way my mother will recognize it, reading the manual it mentions that some old mothers could have problems to communicate with these disks so samsung provide with a soft to make the disk work at 1.5 gigasomething... , I'm yet to find this soft and still wonder how it will work due to the fact the BIOS doesn't see the disk at all.. :/
    I think what you are referring to isn't software, but rather a speed drop to 1.5 Gb/s..it's done by a jumper on the drive and is detailed here:
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...ATA_eng_r4.pdf
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp View Post
    I think what you are referring to isn't software, but rather a speed drop to 1.5 Gb/s..it's done by a jumper on the drive and is detailed here:
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...ATA_eng_r4.pdf
    Thanks geoscomp! I was looking for that jumper, but the very manual of the disk speaks of a software here: HD502IJ Manual

Anyway as i saw the jumpers on the disk i already tried but the disk keep failing to initialize.

If you look at the manual in my link you will notice there is described a PATA installation, weird considering the disk doesn't come with PATA connectors.

Now im considering upgrading my pc to at least 2007 standards.. and be able to use a new disk!
    Last edited by quato is alive; April 21st, 2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: upgrading social skills :P

update

Now im considering upgrading my pc to at least 2007 standards.. and be able to use a new disk!
    Upgraded the pc, another assus motherboard sata 3.0 compliant, dont remember the model with a core 2 duo something, the new disk works perfect but now the old ones aren't recognized at all, whats more one of the disks does a not so funny click-clock sound when attached, and this one wasn't the faulty disk i started with.

It seems I offended some ancient gods of hardware to get all this sort of disk incompatibilities. Will update if i get a work around of this odd problem...

"Click - Clock" *facepalm*

Upgraded the pc, another assus motherboard sata 3.0 compliant, dont remember the model with a core 2 duo something, the new disk works perfect but now the old ones aren't recognized at all, whats more one of the disks does a not so funny click-clock sound when attached, and this one wasn't the faulty disk i started with.

It seems I offended some ancient gods of hardware to get all this sort of disk incompatibilities. Will update if i get a work around of this odd problem...

"Click - Clock" *facepalm*
    I've found often that moving older hard drives will sometimes kill them, specialy if they are well used (one 24/7).

That's how my data drive died. I had disconnected it to use the cable to recover data off a different drive. When reconnected, the HDD would not show up.. it was dead.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom View Post
    I've found often that moving older hard drives will sometimes kill them, specialy if they are well used (one 24/7).

That's how my data drive died. I had disconnected it to use the cable to recover data off a different drive. When reconnected, the HDD would not show up.. it was dead.
    I'm sorry but those disks are far from dead, they will be dead when the interior pieces will be used as decorative shiny things... now they are just resting for a while...