Interesting design...

Thread: Interesting design...

Interesting design...

The Japanese I-400 submarine.

So sue me, I love subs!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Hmmmm.... do I detect a Silent Hunter fan here?

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!

in 1998 I did my senior paper on the imperial military and the reasons for war. In that research I discovered that and several other series of "super subs" made by Japan. It is quite interesting to learn of these behemoths. The real reason none of us heard about them is mostly due to the end of the war research and secrecy from the soviets. Most special equipment was analyzed then scuttled. I believe 2 of such subs were scuttled near Hawaii. Another series of Japanese subs was designed as underwater transports for fuel and resources. They were later used to smuggle supplies, trade, and researches between Germany and Japan once all their normal avenues of travel were cut off.

I love this topic and it's been a while since I've gotten to talk to anyone about it. I could go on and on about details of ships, their intended military actions they were designed for and so on. Another topic I learned of and studied to a degree with my research was the bio-weapons research group called Unit 371. Those sickos made Joseph Mengele look like a boyscout.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Also just so you know. A while back I was looking to buy an old copy of PTO II. I've always been searching for that game since I used to play it and when I did my research I realized that the game had included the names of these secret super subs and various other special types of ships and equipment in the game play. Of course at the time of playing I had no clue what those things were and assumed they were "bonus" vehicles for when you reached the end of the game.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

[quote=houseisland;683774]Hmmmm.... do I detect a Silent Hunter fan here?

I bought it, but never got around to playing it. I bought Wolf Pack as well, which was from a German sub perspective. I wonder what I did with all those old games.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Das Boat! The German submarine service had the coolest uniforms ever, which included a black leather trenchcoat for the officers. Made of baby seal skins, no doubt.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.