ti pci4410 CardBusdriver incompatible?

Thread: ti pci4410 CardBusdriver incompatible?

ti pci4410 CardBusdriver incompatible?

Dear All,

I am probably boring everyone to death with my problem... but hang in plzzz

Short: when i insert a PC Card in my PCMCIA drive, the computer crashes.

Facts:
    - Dell 5100 Inspiron (2,4 Mhz; about a year old. All firmware updates installed)
    - Windows XP Home (all the updates installed)
    - PC Card: Tornado 211G 802.11G (same problems reported with D-Link, Netgeat, Belkin, et cetera)

When is de-activate the CardBus controller drive, i can insert the PC Card. But as soon as the driver is activated again, the laptop crashes.

I tried to install the drivers for the PC Card first: no luck.

I don't want to jump into conclusions, but there seems to be a problem with the CardBus Drive driver. The CardBus drive is a Texas Instruments PCI-4410.
    There are no new drivers (5.1.2600.0, dated 1-7-2001, digitaly signed MS))

Surfing the internet, i found a lot of victims (the Compaq Evo 1020N has the same problems... and the same CardBus drive).

On the microsoft support site, i found:
    ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295629 )

CAUSE
    On an ACPI-enabled computer that uses certain Texas Instruments CardBus controllers, inserting a CardBus card that does not support power management can result in a continuously asserted Power Management event (PME) being signal by the controller. This causes the card to be continuously re-enumerated.

But this article is about ME en 98... not XP...

Dell doesn't want to help me, i cannot go to Micro$oft for support (OEM Dell...) the shop where i bought the PC Card (Beat It: NEVER buy there...) doesn't want to take the stuff back. Tornado, manufacturer of the PC Card, is looking for a sollution too. (i keep THEM posted :-) )

So... anyone?

Hi all,

I have a similar problem, probably not the same.
    My hardware:
    - Compaq EVO n1020v (2,4 Mhz)
    - Windows XP Professional (all the updates installed, but not in a very good shape )
    - PC Card: Netgear MA401 802.11b (this is a PCMCIA card 16bit, not cardbus 32bit)

The card or the pcmcia hangs sometimes (I cannot determine which), and when I reinsert the card, the card name query fails, and windows cannot load the proper driver, so asks for a new driver. Quite annoying, because when I wait for 5-10 minutes, it works again...
    Overheating maybe? I have the same symptoms even with linux, but not with other pcmcia cards, and not even with this card in another notebook.
    I guess it may be hardware failure.

This might help you (hogman posted this http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...9&page=2&pp=15):
    "I tried the BIOS setting:
    The Parallel port mode to Bi-directional
    Enable 32 bit I/O for the HDD
    Enable the USB Host Controller"

Cheers:
    Zsombor

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen
    Dear All,

Facts:
    - Dell 5100 Inspiron (2,4 Mhz; about a year old. All firmware updates installed)
    - PC Card: Tornado 211G 802.11G (same problems reported with D-Link, Netgeat, Belkin, et cetera)

When is de-activate the CardBus controller drive, i can insert the PC Card. But as soon as the driver is activated again, the laptop crashes.

I don't want to jump into conclusions, but there seems to be a problem with the CardBus Drive driver. The CardBus drive is a Texas Instruments PCI-4410.

Surfing the internet, i found a lot of victims (the Compaq Evo 1020N has the same problems... and the same CardBus drive).

CAUSE
    On an ACPI-enabled computer that uses certain Texas Instruments CardBus controllers, inserting a CardBus card that does not support power management can result in a continuously asserted Power Management event (PME) being signal by the controller. This causes the card to be continuously re-enumerated.

Dell doesn't want to help me, i cannot go to Micro$oft for support (OEM Dell...) the shop where i bought the PC Card (Beat It: NEVER buy there...) doesn't want to take the stuff back. Tornado, manufacturer of the PC Card, is looking for a sollution too. (i keep THEM posted :-) )

So... anyone?

Welcome to Windrivers q163

The other snippet is some of these cards only work in the bottom slot of the pcmcia sockets....

jorgen have you had any joy with the manufacturer yet?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen
    Dear All,

Facts:

CAUSE

So... anyone?
    jorgen

Sorry for lack of response - you seem to have gotten lost in the shuffle. On 7/20, a new driver was released for the Tornado 211G: http://www.allieddata.com/asp/suppor...t&supportid=53
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

is there one for the texas instrument too? or can I use this one. my laptop does the same thingand to add to this it can't even read the radeon 320m video card, it tells me that the drivers are not installed and every time I try to install it says video driver not found anyone can help with this please. Driving me up the #######wall.....

Talking

hey I was able to get my radeon 320m video drivers installed, about time!!!!
    I had to uninstall service pack 2 and restarted and installed the drivers and man oh man my chipset pick the drivers right on up......

welcome to Windrivers nard04

Glad you got the video driver sorted. Whats the problem with the pcmcia card or socket?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Anyone find a solution for the ti 4410 ?

My girlfriend has a compaq Presario 1500 that we upgraded to XP pro FROM XP Home edition that came pre-installed. We had a Microsoft Networking PCMCIA card that worked fine in it. After the upgrade the computer freezes any time I put either the Microsoft card, or a SMC card for Wireless G. I have a generic Blittz (crappy reception) wireless b card that works Ok. I have updated the bios, made the recommended bios changes, downloaded all the enhancements and drivers from compaq, called microsoft tech support, smc tech support, and compaq tech support. Still cant get the dang thing to work !!!!!!! If anyone has a way to make either the MS or SMC card work it would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!!

RamDisk

sorry for this late answer...

Ramdisk: i hope this will help you

I WON THE WAR!

The problem is caused by the ACPI support in the Bios. It is very technical (i don't really understand it :-( ) but: the PCMCIA controller waits for the PC Card, the PC Card waits for the PCMCIA controller and in this process, something gets shortcircuited and crashes. This only happens with SOME (WiFi) PC Cards, may be especially the 'super G' cards.

So... 3 sollutions:
    -> the laptop-manufacturer has to update the BIOS (Dell A31 or 32... forgot... I got an interum release x29) (is the 1500 still supported?)
    -> get another PC Card
    -> Install Windows without ACPI (power management... i think you need it on a laptop, but if you are really desperate... instructions can be found on the microsoft site... something with pressing a function-key during installation...)

(i am in a new war with Dell now... my LCD screen is broken after a year and a half. The backlight is out. Now they tell me i have to pay 530 euro's because they gave me a crappy LCD screen!!!)

(Excuse my crappy english...)

Hey, all you guys with Compaq 1020v notebooks.

I had the same issue with my Texas Instruments PCMCIA Cardbus slot.

It wouls completely lock up the screen.

I have now fixed this by hitting F10 on start up and entering the system BIOS.

Change the following:

1: go to "advanced" tab

2: change UMA frame size to 64MB

3: change PXE to "ENABLE"

4: change USB host controller to "ENABLE"

5: change USB Bios legacy support to "DISABLE"

6: change Fan control to "ENABLE"

GOOD LUCK...It worked for me!

Thank you

Adjusting those settings worked for me and my Evo N1020v

Welcome to Windrivers tonyjschroeder

Good of you to sign up to let crackerbuzz know his post worked for you. IOf you have any other queries, don't hesitate to post again.

Thanks for keeping this old thread available, and to crackerbuzz for his solution. I have a Compaq Presario 1516US laptop, dual-booting Windows XP home and OpenSuSE Linux 11.2. A Linksys PCMCIA wireless adapter WPC54G ver. 4 worked fine in XP, but not in OpenSuSE. I got a Netgear WN511B, which is stated to work with OpenSuSE (it does). Using the WN511B with WinXP caused the computer to freeze as soon as the card was inserted. The screen froze, and there was no response to keyboard or mouse. I had to hold down the power button to escape.
    Crackerbuzz's settings fixed the problem. Only the UMA and PXE settings needed to be changed to match his list. I had struggled for quite a while before I found this page. Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Welcome to Windrivers ...........

Good of you to sign up to let crackerbuzz know his post worked for you. IOf you have any other queries, don't hesitate to post again.
    Thks