What's your current project?

Thread: What's your current project?

What's your current project?

Things seem quiet right now all around, both in work and in the forums, So i firgured it would be a good idea to see what pet projects people are currently working on.

For me, Yesterday i just received a new SonicWall NSA firewall that is going into our co-location facility, to replace.... Drum roll... a linksys router. I started at this company a year ago and i've been slowly trying to migrate things to better equipment. Got a new Server, Virtualized the whole network adn setup VoIP among other things. The sonicwall has been a low priority untill just recently when I showed that we where close to causing the linksys router to be overloaded.

So my project is to get the appliance configured and installed into the co-location facility. Incomming VPN, back to back VPN routed tunnel, ACL policies.. all this with next to zero experience with SonicWall OS.

Who's next?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

My pet project is less glamorous. It's finding a way to get the state to recognize the EIN that they gave me.

Outside of that project the only other thing I have on pet project status is re-deploying one of my work station computers into a Kubuntu file server for my personal office and using it with VM Virtualbox so it can host windows vista allowing me to still use it as a backup when my main system can't connect to a clients pc remotely.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

My pet project is an acquisition system for the entire house (measuring power used, logging temperatures and the use of the HVAC system). The plan is to have enough data to support the potential savings for a system I want to patent.
    Other pet projects include sanding and staining the deck (needs one more coat which I'm gonna do today) and building some new concrete stairs to replace some rotten wood ones (within few weeks, after the weather cools down a bit).
    No pet projects at work...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

About to put in a wireless repeater / bridge so I can get more speed with the wireless on the deck. We can connect now but slowly. Redid the drop ceiling in the Man Cave, and it looks so good that I decided to redo the laundry room to match.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    About to put in a wireless repeater / bridge so I can get more speed with the wireless on the deck. We can connect now but slowly. Redid the drop ceiling in the Man Cave, and it looks so good that I decided to redo the laundry room to match.
    let me know how that goes, i've got a similar problem at home and i'm looking for a good solution.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I'm getting ready for the opening of a new branch for one of my credit unions. Building 7 workstations running Win7 32 (problem with 3rd party app and 64 bit) and a Window SBS 2008 machine. We start testing the machines with Fiserv, Southwest Bancorp, etc. next week. Also due to start pulling cable about anytime now, and installing racks, patch panels, etc.

The really fun part is when I get to the point of setting up communications between the branches so the time clock server, VOIP system, etc. will all talk with each other. I expect some problems dealing with both Perimeter eSecurity and the company providing the T1 line (and hardware) between the branches. I'm pretty nervous. It's the only part of setting up the new infrastructure where I not only don't have full control, but have to deal with people that I've found difficult in the past.

What? No electricity puns? No discharges of humor grounded in electrical references?
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Squid View Post
    What? No electricity puns? No discharges of humor grounded in electrical references?
    Shocking, isn't it? Nevertheless, I'm sure some our current punsters have the juice to zap us with a couple of good ones.

Wire you asking that? Ohm gonna try my best, or switch to another hobby. But I'll try to get amp-le plugs in while I can. Re-volt-ing it may be, it may just be a phase I am going through.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Phew! I feel so much better now. Order has been restored to the Universe!

Switching to another topic, I must bolt from here before I attract too much static for lingering at this current topic.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Wire you asking that? Ohm gonna try my best, or switch to another hobby. But I'll try to get amp-le plugs in while I can. Re-volt-ing it may be, it may just be a phase I am going through.
    Nice!