Multiple computer at home - Waste of money ?

Thread: Multiple computer at home - Waste of money ?

Multiple computer at home - Waste of money ?

Hi all :O)

just wondered why i have 3 computers at home....I use one for work, One for bedroom HTPC and one for living room HTPC. I think that if I had a way to connect my bedroom and living room stereo and LCD's to one computer it could save loads of money - But ONLY if it'll be high quality one (I'm an audiophile, So I've connected an audiophile sound card in the living room computer. Also I've tried to connect a 5M VGA cable in my bedroom and the signal loss was noticeable).

What do YOU think ?

Not sure about downsizing, I have 5 desktops and 6 laptops for 4 people here at my home, perhaps it might be a good idea to copy your idea, HipHoper!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I think it will have a lot to do with how the PC's are being used. I have 3 desktops and 1 laptop at home. I use the laptop when traveling as it is not as powerful as the desktops. As for the desktops, my wife uses one, and my son uses on and I use the third. For some reason my wife and son just don't get the concept of safe browsing (that and using the shut down command rather than just switching off the power strip) and I am frequently rebuilding their PCs. If we were all using 1 machine, I would be down most of the time and having to wait for replacement parts to arrive when that is the true problem. Having more than 1 machine means I'm never completely cut off. So there is not a clear cut answer to your question without looking at all of the factors involved. How powerful are the machines, and how many machines are used simultaneously for different purposes?

Well....It is comfortable to have a spare computer for redundancy, but a laptop will suffice in my opinion for a temporary solution. I guess it's a matter of priorities, And when you have a media center that is idle like 80% of the time, And usually require a strong CPU to play HD movies, You start to question the efficiency of your computer usage....In my case I prefer to have an extra computer except from my desktop working computer, But if i can find a computer that will do the work for HTPC/Work - One that his life is not shorten significantly like a laptop (Screen, Hard drive, Overheat), I would go for it. (Just take in mind that in my case it needs to play HD movies well, Support multiple video formats and have high quality sound card - Which in a laptop I can use an external usb audio card).

I have 2 computers upstairs, 1 downstairs and 1 server - that are being used daily. That if you don't want to consider the TV receivers as computers - they only run an embedded Windows
    Right now I have 15 active IP's at home... that is 15 network devices
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

hmm, I sometimes think i have too many things at home.

Desktop #1 - this is my workhorse, plays my games etc.
    Desktop #2 - Linux server - hosts everything
    Desktop #3 - HTPC
    Laptop #1 - Girlfriends personal laptop that is used for day to day
    Laptop #2 - Girlfriends School computer - used for projects
    Laptop #3 - My work computer that i bring home most nights

Add in a networked printer, some wireless handhelds, dedicated NAS storage..

And this is only for 2 people.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

So far, I am in the lead!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    So far, I am in the lead!
    not if you go my computer/people ratio. I would have you beat at 3 computer to 1 person.

you are 2.75 computers to a person :P
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Well, I only own half of the home, so that actually doubles my numbers!

I've only got six computers for 4 people, but that doesn't cut down much on the bickering and contention. If I don't make sure that every blasted computer has roughly the same level of performance, I have to deal with fights and arguments over the better machines. "Dad! Dragon Age SUCKS on this computer make HER use it!" and on and on and on. Heck, my darling daughters even manage to fight about mice, keyboards, and monitors.

Well we had 6 computers until today. Now it's 4. I retired the Linux test server, and the Kubuntu workstation and made my Vista machine into the Kubuntu Workstation/Server with a VirtualBox installation of my Vista workstation while plugging 2 monitors into it so the VM can be on one screen while I do other tasks on the 2nd one.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Must go out and buy parts... must beat Mat's score!!! Now where did I put that bank balance statement...

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Must go out and buy parts... must beat Mat's score!!! Now where did I put that bank balance statement...
    Nah, if you're going to really get into the competitive spirit, you can't worry about incidentals like your bank balance. Ya just gotta acquire more capital.

Leaving aside some of the obvious methods, (meth lab, contract killer, gigolo, etc.) you might become a blogger! Some say blogging is dead, but if a person genetically predisposed toward sub-optimal performance such as Adrian Kingsley-Hughes can do it as a steady gig, I think the field is wide open!

Q. Why does Adrian Kingsley-Hughes have facial hair?
    A. To cover up the stretch marks around his mouth that spell "Intel".