Never Seen This Router/Laptop Issue Before

Thread: Never Seen This Router/Laptop Issue Before

Never Seen This Router/Laptop Issue Before

I had this Dell 8300 (I think) in the other day and for some reason whenever I setup a netgear wireless N router for it the thing would blue screen. The laptop would just be sitting on my counter and I would plug in the router and not even have it hooked up to the internet and it would blue screen. It was fine with a linksys that was in my shop. I also tried another router the same as the one that was blue screening and it did the same thing. Only thing I could figure is for some odd reason the router was incompatible with the wireless card in the laptop, what do you think?
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Wireless N is still not 100% standard. I would say it's an incompatibility issue. What brand of wifi is in the laptop?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I would say crappy driver. Lack of compatibility would cause it to not connect - and it's all in the software... which is the driver.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I read that the 8300 wasn't PCI 2.3 compliant. What is the adapter requiring?

http://www.digi.com/pdf/prd_msc_pcitech.pdf

Not sure what is is requiring only that even when I just turn the router on not even connected to the modem it will blue screen the laptop and you don't even have to touch the laptop at all. I believe it just sees it and try's to connect to it automatically then blue screens. I will have to check the driver issue. Strange indeed.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Can't really see any likely cause other than a driver issue or demonic possession.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Can't really see any likely cause other than a driver issue or demonic possession.
    Nope drivers were fine so I gave him my linksys in trade for his new netgear he bought from me and he was a happy camper. As long as the customer is happy is all that matters.

Did he have Bluetooth on the laptop? I had a similar occurence a few months ago, arbitrarily turned off Bluetooth and it was ok. A few boots later, turn BT back on and all was well. Might be a co-incedennce, though.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

It was an older Dell 8300 I believe.