problem with dymo twin turbo (old model)

Thread: problem with dymo twin turbo (old model)

problem with dymo twin turbo (old model)

this printer is USB and was working fine. it runs v7.8 software, the latest. i had a problem with my hp 5650 spooler, kept crashing, after updating the software so I could get the "ink levels" and the like.

anyway i found a MS printer removal/fixer but did not realise it was going to remove ALL printers!

I have reinstalled the 5650, but the dymo will not - i get an error when the printer is detected.

i tried the recommended utility to remove all of the dymo files, but this did not make any difference.

it's wierd because the actual software and driver installer completes successfully however the NEW HARDWARE WIZARD says it cannot complete "the port is unspecified".

In printers, i have checked to see there is a USB0001 port, which I created.
    I've tried removing it and readding, no change. I have clicked on settings and checked the printer is on a port; i even created a new one and changed it to that port. no change. the printer spooler accepts jobs but they disappear immediately and do not print.

if i run the dymo software and look at configuration settings, the printer is there and will accept a print job but it just disappears and doesn't print.

i dont know what else to try? my system is XP with latest updates etc. I scanned the system with AVG and StopZilla, AdAware, etc. no infestations to speak of.
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

Fixed!

I FIXED the problem, after trawling the internet - I found the following (which has sorted the problem):

Start the Windows Registry Editor with [Windows R], [regedit] and [enter]. Now navigate to the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print/Monitors

Check if a subkey with the name USB Monitor exists. If not create it by right-clicking Monitors and selecting New > Key. Name that key USB Monitor.

Now right-click in the right pane and select New > String Value from the menu. Enter Driver as the name. Double-click driver and enter usbmon.dll as the value.

Now restart your computer and perform the printer installation again. The installation should go through without problems now and the error message the specified port is unknown should not appear.
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

Thanks for posting a solution! I'm sorry I couldn't have been helpful, but I can be appreciative, at least.