New

Thread: New

New

Hi, Bios & Motherboarders

I’m new here. Stumbled across this place looking for info on one of my many problems. After reading in the Archives I don’t feel so unlucky anymore.

The problem I’m having is. I replaced the motherboard & power supply on my Sony PCV-RZ34G. I put Everything back now to it’s Original state when I bought it. I paid through the nose & bought the motherboard & power supply from Sony. Now my copy of the Sony Master Recovery Disc won’t install. The Error I keep getting is the Disc is for the wrong model #. I installed Win XP then went to Sony’s site for them to tell me what Sony PC I had. Their site tells me it’s a Sony PCV-RZ44G! I called Sony Tech. Parts Dept. and everyone else I can think of. I even tried Reviving the old board to get Bios info with no luck. I have been over the entire board with a magnifying glass all the numbers are alike right down to the version. The only hint I have run across is a Bios string info for the 34G posted the Bios Build Date of: 080803. Where on the 44G it’s 091903 Bios Build Date. Any Ideas? Anyone?

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    If you replaced the motherboard, the original install of Windows should boot right up. No need to run the recovery cd. I'm not directly familiar with Sony, but for Hp, when you replace a board, there's a tatoo that is applied to the motherboard, it's a kind of bios flash, to allow the recovery disk to work. Contact tech support at Sony, they should be able to help you out pretty easy.
    Sergeant WOTPP

I Certainly appreciate your advice, as I’m at my wits end. Don’t worry it was a short trip. Perhaps I should have also stated I was on the phone with Sony Tech talked to 3 different ones. Spent hours trying to get Any reasonable answer. They also charge by the Hour to your phone even though you spend the most of this time on Hold! I even E-mailed thinking I would perhaps get someone different. Just got a reply today, telling me to call the Same number! I think they have their own Stimulus Plan! I Do however know what you’re referring to. Same was true of my old PBs. I think they just don’t want to Admit they made a mistake and sent me a 44G when I ordered a 34G. Both of which you can No longer order recovery Disc for. I THINK I have to find someway to make these recovery disks work. OR find a way to change that tag from a 44G to a 34G.
    I also should have mentioned I had to replace the hard drive with the motherboard & power supply. Sorry My Mistake.

If you bought the motherboard, hard drive, and power supply all from SONY the price you paid I'm assuming would have been close to if not more than the cost of a replacement PC of similar if not better specs from Best Buy. It'd have definately been a lot more cost effective to have just replaced the whole system if that is the case. Now if you need that specific unit for some special reason I could see the reasoning behind such troubles. I'm not trying to make you feel bad but just something to consider next time.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Have you tried having a competent tech do a repair load on the machine? ( Some techs call this an "overload", as it writes over the Windows® portion only, leaving the profiles and programs intact ). Even if they sent you the incorrect motherboard, a repair load would alow you to load any missing drivers and still use the COA on the side of the machine.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Just to clarify 3d's suggestion, this involves doing a Windows Repair using the same Windows type (eg OEM XP Home) but one that's standard not system locked, so it won't look for the BIOS tattoo. The original license would still be valid as the mainboard replacement is the manufacturer's replacement used in repair.

Having spent such a substantial amount with them, it looks like very poor form on Sony's part not to offer all the support you need. But then I don't have a very good opinion of Sony from the get-go (mutters about installing rootkits on people's computers).

I don't suppose you'd be lucky enough for the BIOS chips to be socketed? If they were and the new board has the same hardware complement, the original BIOS might be able to be tried in the new board.
    Last edited by Platypus; September 7th, 2010 at 07:59 AM.

Lots of Responses! Niclo Iste
    You Hit the Nail on the head with that one! I have over Two Million GBs why. I’m sure if you been into computers long, then your also very familiar with language changes in programs.

Guts3d
    Nice Idea! But my Original hard drive, again died with all that info on it or I would have just transferred those programs to the new hard drive. Thanks anyway!

Platypus
    Hmmm, I’m going to have to check to see if it is socketed! Good Idea!