Two LAN segment questions.

Thread: Two LAN segment questions.

Two LAN segment questions.

What is the best way to do the following....

I have two offices separated by a parking lot. Office one has a server that has all the drive shares, and has a FIOS line. Office two has a DSL line, and needs access to office1 for access to the drive shares. I have two wireless access points that have the two offices connected, and IP's being issued by the server in office1. Can I set office two on the same IP range of office1 and have the DSL line in office2 be the Internet traffic for office2? So that they can share drives in office1 but get the Internet from their own DSL.

Thanks in advance.
    No matter where you go........there you are.

You can do any combination. Office2 using DSL for net access would be better, you don't want to load the wireless with crap.
    You may find out the wireless connection to be unstable. Depending on the company size it may or may not be enough and you might have to do VPN to Office1.
    The better way to do it is run FIOS to Office 2 and take advantage of the higher bandwidth. Get a static IP for Office1... VPN would then be really fast and reliable.
    The best way is running a fiber optic cable to connect the buildings...
    Edit: in your existing config (wireless) you'll need to assign IP's from 2 different pools in the same subnet, Office2 will need to have a different GW specified.
    Last edited by CeeBee; September 20th, 2010 at 03:54 PM.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I think there are several issues that you would need to address to get this sorted out properly:

1. Wifi link. You will need to setup a bridge between the two locations, not all routers support this configuration
    2. your router will need to actually route so that each router knows when to put information out to the internet and when to send to the other lan.
    3. Seperate your IP range, don't use the same subnet. This is critical for proper routing.
    4. secure the wifi bridge

I use a similar setup, though in a different environment. I have two locations, spread across the city. Instead of using wifi to connect them, I use a VPN tunnel. local internet traffic is routed out the internet connection and traffic for each other facility is routed through the VPN to the other location.

I'm currently using SonicWALL devices to accomplish this, I don't believe any stock home based router will do the job. You might be able to get away with a non-stock firmware like DD-wrt or Tomato, but you would need to review the options to make sure it does the job.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I currently have the AP's conected to each other, and IP's are being correctly passed over the conection. It works, however, in an effort to reduce the load through the conection, I am looking at just sharing the drive shares through the AP conection, and having Office2 use the DSL conection for Internet, and maybe DHCP for Office2 computers.

Office1

192.168.111.X

Office2 (if on own LAN)
    192.168.0.X

What needs to be done to the DSL modem/router and the subnet to make this work?
    No matter where you go........there you are.

set your DSL as the default connection, create a static route to the other lan for the specified subnet.

How you set that up would depend on the router you are using.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans