Upgrade to Exchange

Thread: Upgrade to Exchange

Upgrade to Exchange

I currently have server 2003 r2 running on a 4 year old dell server. I want to upgrade this server to an exchange server but am a it confused what software program to add to it. I am also considering buying a second server and perhaps using a server 2008 on it instead but again I am a bit confused what software to purchase and load. This is for a not for profit so i can get the software vey cheap for them. Can anybody guide me? Thank you Chris P.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman7722 View Post
    I currently have server 2003 r2 running on a 4 year old dell server. I want to upgrade this server to an exchange server but am a it confused what software program to add to it.
    Probably buying Exchange would be a good start. Looking at $700. Then client licenses to the tune of $70 each. Prices may be different for a non-profit though. Win 2008 small biz edition may be a better option as it includes Exchange.
    However bear in mind that Exchange is intended for a company with a domain. Unless you are also using Outlook on clients you could as well start looking into cheaper or even free alternatives.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Probably buying Exchange would be a good start. Looking at $700. Then client licenses to the tune of $70 each. Prices may be different for a non-profit though. Win 2008 small biz edition may be a better option as it includes Exchange.
    However bear in mind that Exchange is intended for a company with a domain. Unless you are also using Outlook on clients you could as well start looking into cheaper or even free alternatives.
    Thank you for your reply. The current server is a proper domain based system so that isn't an issue. Also the cost isn't really as they can get the software at 90% off as a not for profit (nice). So does 2008 small biz have everything in one OS that I need to run the domain, file servers, print servers and exchange? Chris

On more looking I see that server 2003 enterprise 32.64bit contains exchange server 2003. I would prefer to stay with 2003 for the time being. So my question now is am I reading correctly that enterprise contains exchange? Chris

Quote Originally Posted by musicman7722 View Post
    On more looking I see that server 2003 enterprise 32.64bit contains exchange server 2003. I would prefer to stay with 2003 for the time being. So my question now is am I reading correctly that enterprise contains exchange? Chris
    Linky? I am not sure of that.
    I would advise against going for a 7yr old OS that is already out of mainstream support. I don't even know if you can get a license for it anymore, though with the newer versions you might have downgrade rights. Also somewhat I doubt that they give discounted non-profit licenses for *enterprise* versions.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Linky? I am not sure of that.
    I would advise against going for a 7yr old OS that is already out of mainstream support. I don't even know if you can get a license for it anymore, though with the newer versions you might have downgrade rights. Also somewhat I doubt that they give discounted non-profit licenses for *enterprise* versions.
    Thanks for the thought. Techsoup has the 2003 enterprise for $140 so I believe I will go for that. chris